4gs of ram!! vista 32bit or 64bit

waly

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
hey i am running dual boot one is running windows xp32bit and other is running vitsa 64bit!! seems to me its eating up alot of memorey evan though its real fast and can tell night n day between vista64bit and xp32bit....... With only 4gs of ram!! Should i be running windows vista 32bit ? would it still be as smooth and fast as 64bit?

seems to me its eating up alot of memorey evan though its real fast

A little trouble following your meaning here. Vista uses 'superfetch' which is a scheme for loading commonly used program code in RAM so frequently used apps will start up faster. It's just putting your RAM to work intelligently.

Vista also has a bigger RAM footprint than XP too of course, but not as much as you might think.

Should i be running windows vista 32bit

Why? Because you think it might use less RAM? The RAM consumption should be pretty close. Maybe 64 has a little bigger footprint, not sure exactly, but it is very close.

Is 32 as smooth as 64? Hard to say. A lot of people swear by 64 but I'm not sure if you can prove there is much difference. I like it. I'd say it is stabler and smoother for me. I prefer 64 so I can use my full 8 gig ram. 32 bit windows can only use about 3 to 3.5 gig of system RAM since it must reserve some of it's 4 gig address limit for other devices.

All in all vista 64 is the way to go if you have 4 gig RAM or more and you have no major compatibility issues. So stick with it if you can