Installing video drivers for 6600gt

Jbander

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
I have downloaded the drivers from NVIDIA ----NVIDIA-Linux-x86-260.19.36.run----It's for my Nvidia 6600gt APG 8x-- I'm using Ubuntu10.10. How do I get them installed, is there a way that my "additional drivers" program could download it somehow. I have been using Linux for 10 days, so my knowledge is limited. The drivers that are in my "additional drivers" program don't work. Freezes and black screen.

wombat_tg

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010

Are you sure you need the drivers at all? Given the card's considerable age it's likely you don't even need the drivers and won't gain anything meaningful from them.

Jbander

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011

The drivers that are in my "additional drivers" program don't work, I've tried them . It Freezes and it goes to black screen. I'm trying to solve this problem with other drivers.

wombat_tg

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010

But is the computer working now with just the generic drivers? Because if it works vanilla, just leave it that way. Generic drivers are usually fine for cards that age, and trying to install non-generic is usually not worth the headache. Occasionally the generic drivers are actually better then the N specific ones.

But if it does not work (and graphics drivers with Linux can be really "your mileage may vary"), I've had very good success installing N drivers from command line. Drop out of the desktop (ALT+F2), navigate to the / where your driver.run file is, and run the driver install from there.

Then restart X (sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart, assuming you are using GNOME)

If the straight forward approach doesn't work there's still a lot of troubleshooting you can do, just head to google and start your research.