Uninstalling msoffice2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madugongmaria

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
hi! kinda new here. im having quite a problem uninstalling office 2000.

i installed office 2007 before uninstalling office 2000, and now i want to uninstall 2000 to free up some space on my drive.

went to add/remove programs and clicked uninstall for msoffice 2000 but it looks for a "MAINSP3ff.msp". i downloaded the patch from windows and installed it (the one with mainsp3ff.msp and another prog), but it says that a previous installation has already installed mainsp3ff.msp. but i still can't find it.

bottomline, i can't uninstall office2000. help please?

madugongmaria

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
but... what would that do? it wouldn't uninstall the program if i just deleted it...

aaand... my office2000 folders sort of mixed up with my office2007 files. soo.. i dunno which files to delete.

This is one of my current fifteen to eighteen Office 2000 Small Business installations. I have owned Office 2000 Small Business since 1999. I have installed/uninstalled the program hundreds if not a thousand of times over the past eleven years. :ouch: Apparently your Office 2000 installation is corrupted and the uninstaller will not work properly. Try this.

Double click on the 'My Computer' icon.
Double click on the drive the Office 2000 installation is on.
Open 'program files'
Delete the 'Microsoft Office' folder

Done

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/219423

NOTE: Deleting the Microsoft Office folder also deletes the Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\XLStart folder, which may contain personal files. Ensure that all personal files are removed from this folder before deleting it. Also, deleting the Microsoft Office folder deletes the Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates folder, which may contain personal templates. Ensure that all personal files, including custom macros, are removed from this folder before you delete it.

deletefromprofilesofice.jpg

madugongmaria

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
hi! err... sorry for being such a problem...

wait. ive been writing this wrong all along. i have office xp with frontpage. so stupid of me.

anyway, i did as you instructed. officexp still appears in add/remove programs with the option to uninstall. i try to uninstall but it still looks for mainsp3ff.msp.

Well, if you deleted the program files of the app, the program is no longer installed on your system. You might be able to go in to Safe Mode and remove the entry in the add/remove programs. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about it. Apparently there is a trace of the apps entry in the registry causing the add/remove entery to remain. Means nothing about the application being installed if you deleted the program's folders/files.

You have to use the Office 2000 installation CD to remove the application.

If you have corrupted the original installation you'll need to repair it or reinstall it first, then use the installation CD to perform the uninstall.

Status
Not open for further replies.