A noob to wireless internet.

hello, I must first say that I have very limited knowledge about wireless internet setups. All I know about setting up a wireless internet is that you need a wireless router (of course) and wireless adapters on the computer/s.

Here's my situation.
I currently have two desktops in two seperate rooms that are currently hooked up using a modem-switch (it was free)- and then running LAN cables from the switch to both computers. I have no problems with this setup and would like to keep the cables. However, soon I will be getting a laptop and want to use it all over my house and maybe outside. This is why I want to eventually get a wireless setup. I would still like to have my LAN cables on the two desktops, but I am not sure how i can set that up with a wireless router.
DO wireless routers allow for multiple LAN cables attached to them and still run the internet through the wireless too?
(Obviously, I am a noob :)

Also, what kind of wireless router should I be looking for? (considering range, speed is not necessary since I do not really want a network) And what do I need for security?

thank you and please feel free to ask for any more information/clarification
(I like constructive criticism)
T.
7 answers Last reply
More about noob wireless internet
  1. rabidbunny said:
    hello, I must first say that I have very limited knowledge about wireless internet setups. All I know about setting up a wireless internet is that you need a wireless router (of course) and wireless adapters on the computer/s.

Here's my situation.
    I currently have two desktops in two seperate rooms that are currently hooked up using a modem-switch (it was free)- and then running LAN cables from the switch to both computers. I have no problems with this setup and would like to keep the cables. However, soon I will be getting a laptop and want to use it all over my house and maybe outside. This is why I want to eventually get a wireless setup. I would still like to have my LAN cables on the two desktops, but I am not sure how i can set that up with a wireless router.
    DO wireless routers allow for multiple LAN cables attached to them and still run the internet through the wireless too?
    (Obviously, I am a noob :)

Also, what kind of wireless router should I be looking for? (considering range, speed is not necessary since I do not really want a network) And what do I need for security?

thank you and please feel free to ask for any more information/clarification
    (I like constructive criticism)
    T.

Hey rabid. If you have a new wireless router and have only one r45 connector, just hook up one of these and you can hook 4 computers hard wired to it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124005

As far as recommending a wireless adapter, there are so many. If you are using or plan on using Vista, be sure to get a wireless adapter that specificlly states Vista compatible. Maybe the same for the router come to think of it. Otherwise, search newegg for wireless adapters with high customer ratings. I have three buffalo pin usb wireless adapters that work fine.
  2. Ok thanks badge!

I do have a switch already hooked up to my modem. (It is similar to what you posted a link to, does the same thing).

Question:
    How do I determine what router will work well for my house as far as distance goes?
    And do some wireless routers already have something similar to a switch built into them?

Thanks.
    T.
  3. rabidbunny said:
    Ok thanks badge!

I do have a switch already hooked up to my modem. (It is similar to what you posted a link to, does the same thing).

Question:
    How do I determine what router will work well for my house as far as distance goes?
    And do some wireless routers already have something similar to a switch built into them?

Thanks.
    T.

Not my strongest subject. I don't think wireless distance will be a problem. Wireless adapters are capable of making stable connections to a wireless router for quite a distance. There are wireless routers that have dual r45 plug in built in. I think mot have just one r45 host plug. So, you would need a multiport r45 adapter or a switch like you use for your two computers. I use three of these around the office and home on the three wireless networks I have. These are very small and a bit fragile. You might give one a try, they work well for me. I did have to rma one of my three to Newegg. It failed, but I still use all three almost everyday.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162130
  4. OH ok! Thank you for the distance clarification.

Now, don't most notebooks come with wireless adapters built into them?
  5. yeah some notebooks have wireless adapters built right in. That would do the trick as far as getting the notebook connected to your new wireless network. Mine doesn't work, so I use those buffalo keychain deals.
  6. The Buffalo keychain adapters install theirselves. No software needed. Just plug it in and follow along. I had to update the software from Buffalo website after installation. They have built in installation software. Just plug it in. Hopefully.
  7. Ok, cool. I've found some nice routers on newegg with great reviews. I don't know when I will be getting a laptop, but when I do I will be sure to pick one of these up.

My next step after getting one is to set it up. That should be interesting! :)

Thanks for all of your help.

T.
Ask a new question

Read More

Wireless Router Wireless Internet Wireless Networking