Sign in with
Your question

A noob to wireless internet.

Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 21, 2007 8:40:07 PM

hello, I must first say that I have very limited knowledge about wireless internet setups. All I know about setting up a wireless internet is that you need a wireless router (of course) and wireless adapters on the computer/s.

Here's my situation.
I currently have two desktops in two seperate rooms that are currently hooked up using a modem-switch (it was free)- and then running LAN cables from the switch to both computers. I have no problems with this setup and would like to keep the cables. However, soon I will be getting a laptop and want to use it all over my house and maybe outside. This is why I want to eventually get a wireless setup. I would still like to have my LAN cables on the two desktops, but I am not sure how i can set that up with a wireless router.
DO wireless routers allow for multiple LAN cables attached to them and still run the internet through the wireless too?
(Obviously, I am a noob :) 

Also, what kind of wireless router should I be looking for? (considering range, speed is not necessary since I do not really want a network) And what do I need for security?

thank you and please feel free to ask for any more information/clarification
(I like constructive criticism)
T.

More about : noob wireless internet

July 21, 2007 9:12:14 PM

rabidbunny said:
hello, I must first say that I have very limited knowledge about wireless internet setups. All I know about setting up a wireless internet is that you need a wireless router (of course) and wireless adapters on the computer/s.

Here's my situation.
I currently have two desktops in two seperate rooms that are currently hooked up using a modem-switch (it was free)- and then running LAN cables from the switch to both computers. I have no problems with this setup and would like to keep the cables. However, soon I will be getting a laptop and want to use it all over my house and maybe outside. This is why I want to eventually get a wireless setup. I would still like to have my LAN cables on the two desktops, but I am not sure how i can set that up with a wireless router.
DO wireless routers allow for multiple LAN cables attached to them and still run the internet through the wireless too?
(Obviously, I am a noob :) 

Also, what kind of wireless router should I be looking for? (considering range, speed is not necessary since I do not really want a network) And what do I need for security?

thank you and please feel free to ask for any more information/clarification
(I like constructive criticism)
T.

Hey rabid. If you have a new wireless router and have only one r45 connector, just hook up one of these and you can hook 4 computers hard wired to it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124005

As far as recommending a wireless adapter, there are so many. If you are using or plan on using Vista, be sure to get a wireless adapter that specificlly states Vista compatible. Maybe the same for the router come to think of it. Otherwise, search newegg for wireless adapters with high customer ratings. I have three buffalo pin usb wireless adapters that work fine.
July 21, 2007 10:12:01 PM

Ok thanks badge!

I do have a switch already hooked up to my modem. (It is similar to what you posted a link to, does the same thing).

Question:
How do I determine what router will work well for my house as far as distance goes?
And do some wireless routers already have something similar to a switch built into them?

Thanks.
T.
Related resources
July 21, 2007 10:20:33 PM

rabidbunny said:
Ok thanks badge!

I do have a switch already hooked up to my modem. (It is similar to what you posted a link to, does the same thing).

Question:
How do I determine what router will work well for my house as far as distance goes?
And do some wireless routers already have something similar to a switch built into them?

Thanks.
T.

Not my strongest subject. I don't think wireless distance will be a problem. Wireless adapters are capable of making stable connections to a wireless router for quite a distance. There are wireless routers that have dual r45 plug in built in. I think mot have just one r45 host plug. So, you would need a multiport r45 adapter or a switch like you use for your two computers. I use three of these around the office and home on the three wireless networks I have. These are very small and a bit fragile. You might give one a try, they work well for me. I did have to rma one of my three to Newegg. It failed, but I still use all three almost everyday.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162130
July 21, 2007 10:25:33 PM

OH ok! Thank you for the distance clarification.

Now, don't most notebooks come with wireless adapters built into them?
July 21, 2007 10:28:09 PM

yeah some notebooks have wireless adapters built right in. That would do the trick as far as getting the notebook connected to your new wireless network. Mine doesn't work, so I use those buffalo keychain deals.
July 21, 2007 10:33:10 PM

The Buffalo keychain adapters install theirselves. No software needed. Just plug it in and follow along. I had to update the software from Buffalo website after installation. They have built in installation software. Just plug it in. Hopefully.
July 21, 2007 11:30:53 PM

Ok, cool. I've found some nice routers on newegg with great reviews. I don't know when I will be getting a laptop, but when I do I will be sure to pick one of these up.

My next step after getting one is to set it up. That should be interesting! :) 

Thanks for all of your help.

T.
!