Auto Login

I have exp pro with multiple users on a file server, I would like the system
to log on to a account without me having to enter a password for it. is
there anyway of doing this?
5 answers Last reply
More about auto login

    1) Click Start, Run and enter CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2

    2) Highlight the user account you want automatically logged on.

    3) Uncheck Users must enter a username and password.

    4) Click Apply.

    5) In the dialog that follows, enter the password for the account you chose in Step 2.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    del@here.com wrote:

    >I have exp pro with multiple users on a file server, I would like the system
    >to log on to a account without me having to enter a password for it. is
    >there anyway of doing this?

    See "How to Configure Windows XP to Automatically Log On a User
    Account" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282866).

    --
    (tm)

    I need to have passwords set, as this computer is shared over a network and
    I want to restrict access to certain folders across the network, is this
    possible?

    To do this, you must be running NTFS as your file system on the drive in question. If your hard disk/partition is not NTFS you will need to convert it. To do this, open a Command Prompt window and enter the following command:

    CONVERT X: /FS:NTFS

    Where X: is the drive letter you wish to convert. You may also want to see http://www.aumha.org/a/ntfscvt.htm to ensure that you're getting the optimal conversion.

    After this step is completed and you've rebooted the computer, if necessary:

    XP PRO: In Windows Explorer, go to Tools, Folder Options, View and uncheck Use Simple File Sharing. Now, when you right click on a drive, folder or file (on an NTFS partition) and select Properties, you'll see a Security tab. Here you can assign or deny permissions based on user name or user group membership.

    XP Home: By default, you can only make files and folders under My Documents "private". This is done by right clicking a folder or file and selecting Properties, Sharing. To change the permissions on other folders, you need to boot the computer to Safe Mode and log in on the built in Administrator account. In this mode, you'll see the Security tab in Properties, and you can assign permissions based on user name or group membership.

    HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418

    HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and Folders
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308419

    HOW TO: Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared Folder in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307874

    <del@here.com> wrote in message news:428c4d01$0$366$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com...
    >I need to have passwords set, as this computer is shared over a network and
    > I want to restrict access to certain folders across the network, is this
    > possible?

    Here I have found what I was after, heres the link

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231

Login File Server Microsoft Windows XP