Trying to add vidio driver

Jbander

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
This is the problem I run" lspci -v" which checks all drivers on my system and more. It says kernel driver in use: nouveau
then under that it says kernel modules: nvidia recent,nvidia-96,nouveau,nvidiafb
So what it looks like I have 3-4 drivers for my video card loaded and one, nouveau, being used. I think they conflict with each other. I'm trying to add drivers other then nouveau, because the mouse freezes with nouveau. At this point I can't seem to get rid of nouveau, I go to terminal and type"sudo apt-get --purge remove xserver-xorg-video-nouveau" and it says that it's not loaded so I can't dump it. "lspci-v" says nouveau is the driver being used and trying to dump it it says it isn't installed. ?????????confused. I want to dump nouveau, what should I do? I also go into Synaptic package manager and it isn't listed as being installed. All help exepted!

varis

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Which distribution and which version is it? Which kernel are you running (check with eg. "uname -a")? (I take it's one installed by the distro by default...)

How do you manage drivers on the machine, with apt-get and Synaptic only? Do you update regularly, eg. apt-get update?

Jbander

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011

I would be willing to except any proprietary drivers for my Nvidia 6600gt 173.14.28-96.43.19,- 260.19.36, -260.19.44-I would even try 260.19.09. The additional driver program hasn't helped me, because I think that Nouveau is getting in the way.(I just get frozen Ubunto.) Nouveau the one that " inlspci -v" says itsthe driver being used but when I try to unload it it says it didn't unload it because it's not loaded. The"name -a" is Linux ubuntujon 2.6.35-28-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 1 14:40:58 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux. I down load new files when my update manager says there is updates.(every other day)Yes nouveau is distributed with Ubuntu CD. Since my Additional driver doesn't work I decided to try using Synaptic, some of the proprietary drivers I would like to try are listed in Synaptic. But I can't get rid of nouveau because it is not loaded or it is loaded depending on the way I check it. If you can help at all please do.