Sign in with
Your question

Move Outlook Emails to Exchange Server

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
February 8, 2013 10:22:51 AM

The computer that was given to me at work wasn't setup properly, and stores the Outlook .pst files on the Local HD instead of the server. I'd like to move these to the server, but it seems like if I change the "deliver new email to the following location" prefer to the Server... it only affects new emails.

Can I manually move my .pst files to the correct directory on the server, and where would that be? If not, is there another way to go about doing this? I have admin privileges and can access all aspects of the server at my work.

Thanks for reading!
February 8, 2013 1:04:44 PM

When all the new mail gets delivered to the server, where do those .pst files go? Try putting the .pst files of the old emails to the location where the new ones are.
m
l
February 8, 2013 3:30:00 PM

Do not put .pst files on a network share, that's a great way to corrupt the files beyond repair. It's also completely unsupported by Microsoft.
m
l
Related resources
February 9, 2013 12:13:23 AM

ex_bubblehead said:
Do not put .pst files on a network share, that's a great way to corrupt the files beyond repair.

:ouch: 
m
l
February 9, 2013 10:37:41 AM

So does anyone have any suggestions than? I find it hard to believe that someone who stored their emails locally have no such way of moving them to server storage.
m
l
February 9, 2013 1:08:58 PM

It's not rocket science. Open the .pst then drag/drop to the inbox. Assuming of course that you've configured large enough inboxes on the server.
m
l
February 9, 2013 1:31:35 PM

ex_bubblehead said:
It's not rocket science.

Of course. That's why it isn't called rocket science... ;) 
m
l
February 9, 2013 3:55:28 PM

ex_bubblehead said:
It's not rocket science. Open the .pst then drag/drop to the inbox. Assuming of course that you've configured large enough inboxes on the server.

I never suggested it was difficult or rocket science as you so eloquently put it... but I did ask what the best way was to do it. ;)  I'll give this a try when I get back to work.
m
l
March 20, 2013 3:15:52 AM

pst files are just your local files. there's another copy on exchange server, so don't worry, you do not need to move them to server.
m
l
!