Why my PPC cannot acquire a correct IP Address ?

August 15, 2005 6:05:48 AM

I used DHCP.

In the past, my PPC occasionally gets a wrong IP. eg my IP range for my
router is 192.168.8.1 to 192.168.8.10. I can get something totally
wrong, like something that starts with 196.

Now, I keep getting the wrong IP.

I hardcode the IP and it's working but once I use DHCP, it's wrong
again.

Any advice ? Thanks.
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 1:40:50 PM

Hi,
The IP address is recieved via DHCP so if you have multiple DHCP servers the
first one that responds will set the address. Other than that if you are
using Wi-Fi and you connect to the wrong network it can set the wrong IP
address. I suggest using a soft reset to try and get the DHCP address
correct.

--
Chris De Herrera
http://www.pocketpcfaq.com

"flahmeshess" <dingdongdingding@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I used DHCP.
>
> In the past, my PPC occasionally gets a wrong IP. eg my IP range for my
> router is 192.168.8.1 to 192.168.8.10. I can get something totally
> wrong, like something that starts with 196.
>
> Now, I keep getting the wrong IP.
>
> I hardcode the IP and it's working but once I use DHCP, it's wrong
> again.
>
> Any advice ? Thanks.

Anonymous
August 15, 2005 1:49:37 PM

The IP address of 169.254.xxx.xxx is an address that the system
automatically puts in when it can not get an address from DHCP servers.

This means that you are not connecting to your dhcp server for whatever
reason. It could be a security arrangement, it could be a wrong network
setting, etc...

Best thing to do is to delete the setup you have in your ppc, and re-install
all the network settings for the wireless.

Hope this helps,

Fred.

"flahmeshess" <dingdongdingding@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I used DHCP.
>
> In the past, my PPC occasionally gets a wrong IP. eg my IP range for my
> router is 192.168.8.1 to 192.168.8.10. I can get something totally
> wrong, like something that starts with 196.
>
> Now, I keep getting the wrong IP.
>
> I hardcode the IP and it's working but once I use DHCP, it's wrong
> again.
>
> Any advice ? Thanks.

August 23, 2005 7:01:25 AM

Well, it's my own ADSL router. So, it's not security.
I've fix a IP address to the PPC cards and it works. However, it's
very troublesome to keep changing it when I go to hot spot outside.

I can't reinstall the software either cause it comes installed with the
PPC.

Any advice ?

Thanks.

Fred Orton wrote:
> The IP address of 169.254.xxx.xxx is an address that the system
> automatically puts in when it can not get an address from DHCP servers.
>
> This means that you are not connecting to your dhcp server for whatever
> reason. It could be a security arrangement, it could be a wrong network
> setting, etc...
>
> Best thing to do is to delete the setup you have in your ppc, and re-install
> all the network settings for the wireless.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Fred.
>
> "flahmeshess" <dingdongdingding@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >I used DHCP.
> >
> > In the past, my PPC occasionally gets a wrong IP. eg my IP range for my
> > router is 192.168.8.1 to 192.168.8.10. I can get something totally
> > wrong, like something that starts with 196.
> >
> > Now, I keep getting the wrong IP.
> >
> > I hardcode the IP and it's working but once I use DHCP, it's wrong
> > again.
> >
> > Any advice ? Thanks.

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 8:13:55 AM

I've upgraded my firmware lately. Why ? Would it cause a problem ? I
have a SMC ADSL router. Any docs on this problem ? I don't want to
fall back as the back/restore does not work for me all the time. I
have to manually reconfig again.
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 9:35:11 AM

Are you running the latest firmware in the access point/router? That may be
an issue, or if possible fall back to an earlier version to see if the
problem goes away.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

> Well, it's my own ADSL router. So, it's not security.
> I've fix a IP address to the PPC cards and it works. However, it's
> very troublesome to keep changing it when I go to hot spot outside.
>
> I can't reinstall the software either cause it comes installed with the
> PPC.
>
> Any advice ?
>
> Thanks.
>

> Fred Orton wrote:
>> The IP address of 169.254.xxx.xxx is an address that the system
>> automatically puts in when it can not get an address from DHCP servers.
>>
>> This means that you are not connecting to your dhcp server for whatever
>> reason. It could be a security arrangement, it could be a wrong network
>> setting, etc...
>>
>> Best thing to do is to delete the setup you have in your ppc, and
>> re-install
>> all the network settings for the wireless.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Fred.
>>
>> "flahmeshess" <dingdongdingding@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> >I used DHCP.
>> >
>> > In the past, my PPC occasionally gets a wrong IP. eg my IP range for my
>> > router is 192.168.8.1 to 192.168.8.10. I can get something totally
>> > wrong, like something that starts with 196.
>> >
>> > Now, I keep getting the wrong IP.
>> >
>> > I hardcode the IP and it's working but once I use DHCP, it's wrong
>> > again.
>> >
>> > Any advice ? Thanks.

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 10:57:38 AM

I had a problem with an older Linksys router that had problems with DHCP IP
addresses and PocketPCs. The problem was fixed by a firmware upgrade. Its
possible a simple reflashing of the router firmware may do the same thing.

Bottom line its just something to try besides a hard reset of your
PocketPC...

What PocketPC are you using by the way? With my iPAQ 5555 powering off the
PPC, removing the battery for 5-10 seconds then reinstalling the battery
clears up odd WiFi issues...

--

!