djwazzup06

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
I just built a new rig with Vista Ultimate 64-bit

GIGABYTE GA-MA770-DS3 AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane
Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
ASUS EAH4850/HTDI/512M Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16

After installing Vista and during updates, windows would periodically lock up. It's a little weird. The CPU usage drops to zero, and cannot click/open/move anything, but the visuals are still there like hover over a button and it highlights or the Aero "busy" circle mouse icon thing. Then after about 20seconds it unlocks and keeps doing its thing. I haven't experienced it during a game yet, only when browsing through Windows or using FF/IE.

I've got all the Windows updates and installed the mobo chipset drivers correctly. I'm using the CCC 8.6 hotfix from AMD for the Radeon. And I haven't seen any significant critical errors recorded in the Events.

The one thing that I believe may have caused it was during installation of Vista, it rebooted, but to the screen of choosing how to boot windows (normal, last known good config, safe mode, etc). Could something have gone wrong in the installation? It had these "lockups" in every stage of updating Windows (before gfx drivers, before chipset drivers, before updates) and still after updating.

Any suggestions off the top of your heads? I'll be doing some research while waiting for a reply =)