Core 2 Duo 6700 with Stock Fan running too hot

I just got a Core 2 Duo 6700 and installed it on a Intel D975XBX2 motherboard.

I'm still looking for software that will allow me to monitor the temperature during operation, but when i boot up, the temperature in the Hardware monitor in the BIOS shows my CPU at 50C.

That seems to be too hot, and i'm worried it will get a lot hotter when i start playing some games and put some strain on the cpu.

What could cause the temperature, and what can i do to lower it.

I already took the whole thing out of the case, so the case is not the problem.
3 answers Last reply
More about core 6700 stock running
  1. As far as software you could use Motherboard monitor, hardware sensors monitor, Intel Thermal Analysis Tool (http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/392/mirrors.php). Check for compatibility before downloading.
    There is a sticky:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Core-Duo-Temperature-Guide-ftopict221745.html

50* is not too hot. You could try removing the heatsink and reapplying thermal compound or buying a better heatsink:

Thermalright Ultra 120
    Tuniq Tower 120
    Scythe Infinity
    Zalman CNPS 9500/9700
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro.
  2. Thanks for that link for TAT.

The chips run at around 45C at low load. And max out at about 62~65 when i put 100% load on both of them.

That doesn't seem too bad, and i'm guessing since my cpu, board and the tat are from intel, it should be pretty acurate.
  3. Quote:
    Thanks for that link for TAT.

The chips run at around 45C at low load. And max out at about 62~65 when i put 100% load on both of them.

That doesn't seem too bad, and i'm guessing since my cpu, board and the tat are from intel, it should be pretty acurate.

65°C is not to be considered a very good temp however; I'd try to get below 60°C. How is your case ventilation; do you have at least a couple of at least 80mm fans to cool the interior?!
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core Temperature