How can i fix this hard drive issue

i updated my bios previously and when i went to boot my pc, i get this error message.

i also followed the instructions from the below post, but when i check the disk utility/partition editor (im using a livecd), my main hd (with the os on it), doesnt even show up. But its noted in my bios. my main hd is a 750gb wd 6.0gbps drive. its connected to my 6.0. the other internal hard drives show up.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7619590&postcount=18

i removed the internal hd with the os and plugged it in via dock and it shows up. its currently listed as sdh, but i know when i put it back in my pc, that will change. not sure what to do next. any suggestions?
10 answers Last reply
More about hard drive issue
  1. It's possible that the uuid of your root partition has changed. Try booting from a Live CD, mounting your root partition and changing /etc/fstab so that it refers to the device name (e.g. /dev/sda1) rather than the uuid.
  2. Ijack said:
    It's possible that the uuid of your root partition has changed. Try booting from a Live CD, mounting your root partition and changing /etc/fstab so that it refers to the device name (e.g. /dev/sda1) rather than the uuid.

See, thats the thing. i have tried this. when i boot from the live cd, the device with my root partition does not show up. not unless i remove it from inside my case and place it in a dock attached via usb. when its plugged in via usb, it will have a different device name than when its plugged in to the sata port. or does this not make a difference? when plugged in to the sata port is sdd, when plug in thru the dock, its sdh.

so i guess my question is, while its plugged into the dock, how can i make it be recognized as sdd and now shd. i hope im not confusing anyone.
  3. What motherboard? Does the liveCD have the lspci command (try it)? if so what is the output of that command?
  4. Hi you can list all devices by uuid with this:
    #ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/

or
    #blkid

Once confirmed edit fstab accordingly :3
  5. skittle said:
    Hi you can list all devices by uuid with this:
    #ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/

or
    #blkid

Once confirmed edit fstab accordingly :3

nothing happens when i type those commands in the terminal.
  6. heres what i get from running fdisk
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 40.0 GB, 40000000000 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4863 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xd0f4738c

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda2   *           8        4430    35527747+  42  SFS

Disk /dev/sdb: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xd8f3c04b

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sdb1   *           1      121602   976759808    7  HPFS/NTFS

the drive in question doesnt even show up. but it shows in bios and is listed as the second option after the boot cd.
  7. type it without the # :lol:

ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/
  8. got it fixed. i had to go into my bios and change the sata from ide to ahci. thanks for the help guys
  9. Ah! Should have thought of that. Looks like the BIOS update reset the defaults.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives HD