Still getting Checksum error when my power goes out!!!!

meadowlands

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Ok, I have an ASUS A8N5X Motherboard. I replaced the battery and I still received this error whenever my power went out. I called ASUS and they sent me out a new motherboard chip. It worked fine, I tested it and no problem. Now all of a sudden it is doing the same thing again! Everytime my power goes out, I get the checksum error and everything defaults.

Do I need to RMA the Motherboard? Or did this chip they sent me go bad?

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Dude, get an APC UPS system or similar backups system to prevent brown-outs and black-outs.

Check to make sure that the power outages haven't damaged your PSU, as that may be the primary issue.

olmecoid

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Ok that may solved partially tour problem. You have to check also if your RAM is good. There is a utility called memtest or something like it that does the trick.

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Cool, then we can be 99.9% sure that the PSU is fine. As far as the RAM, it's good to check that if possible by downloading the latest Memtest86.
If you have another PC that works, you can download it onto a floppy or burn it onto a bootable CD (that's if your PC can boot and load disks).

meadowlands

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Memory is ok, was tested a few times to track other issues. So far this seems to be the only problem. Was thinking of picking this up:

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?ts=1179409119450&langId=-1&storeId=10001&productId=156663&prodCatType=1&catalogId=10051&cmArea=FEATURED:SC3:CG75:DP1916

wondering if it will not only act as a back up but prevent my comp from losing toal power when I have this connected and the power is out for a bit. All I need it to do is shut down my comp and gve enough juice to make the error problem go away.

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
That should be fine for your setup; I have a similar model from Cyberpower. I don't know if it'll solve the checksum problems immediately, as I know its a preventive measure that will power your PC for 10 minutes or more if the power goes out. Nonetheless, it will provide stable and consistent power that may resolve your issue.... I hope that it solves your problem and good luck

Vash-HT

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
I've had this problem with my motherboard before though its a Abit AN8-SLi, but here is what got rid of it. Try doing a complete clear of your cmos. Cut all power to your computer, put the jumper on clear cmos, remove your battery, and leave it for like 15-30 minutes.

This is what worked for my motherboard and other people on the Abit forums, so it may be worth a try.

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
I second that. Should've thought of that before...but oh well.....

But CMOS should clear in about 30 seconds to a minute...I don't know if 15 to 30 minutes is neccessary

Vash-HT

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
I second that. Should've thought of that before...but oh well.....

But CMOS should clear in about 30 seconds to a minute...I don't know if 15 to 30 minutes is neccessary

Yeah I thought the same thing when I was told this, but when I did it for 5 minutes it didn't work, for about 20 minutes it did. Both times the cmos was cleared of course, but leaving it on longer does something else I guess. I'm not really familiar with how cmos is actually cleared, so I couldn't explain it, just going by my experience and that of others.

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Interesting.... maybe I should retake my Physics class!!! lol. Perhaps it has to do with how the minute electrical current running through the board is discharged?

OP, you might as well try it for 20 minutes or so then...

meadowlands

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I'll give it a go, however since power outages are quite common here in north jersey, I will pick up a UPS to be safe. I saw CC has this same UPS for 59.99-20.00 MIR :)

Vash-HT

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Interesting.... maybe I should retake my Physics class!!! lol. Perhaps it has to do with how the minute electrical current running through the board is discharged?

OP, you might as well try it for 20 minutes or so then...

Yeah I would guess some of the caps on the board hold charge for a while after you turn it off, but thats just a guess.

RubberCement

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
Did you test your CMOS battery to see if it was dead? I had a similar problem when my CMOS battery died. I replaced it and still had the same problem. Turned out the new battery was bad, too.

meadowlands

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Did you test your CMOS battery to see if it was dead? I had a similar problem when my CMOS battery died. I replaced it and still had the same problem. Turned out the new battery was bad, too.

I'll have to try that. I just assumed the new battery was good but who knows. How can you even test it to see if it is good?