Sign in with
Your question

Vista 64 for gaming etc

Last response: in Windows Vista
July 18, 2008 9:46:38 AM

I have been having problems with my three month old system (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/250890-30-gigabyte-ep35-raid-problems). The computer shop that I brought it from is blaming on the problems on vista 64 as they had the system running stable with vista 32 in the shop (I really don't know why they weren't running 64 as that is what I brought it installed). Any way the head shop's manager is saying that is vista 64 that is the problem and he want's to prove to me that 64 is the problem.

From what he is telling me it seems that he wants to install vista 32 and give me back the system and say problem is fixed. This will not fly with me, I will be taking nothing less then a brand new system with vista 64 on it. He is insisting that I go 32 and that as a gamer I will experience nothing but problems with 64bit and that as most games aren't 64bit so there is no point so on and so forth.

Has anyone running vista 64 (any version, I was using ultimate) had any problems with games or any thing else that they can pin solely on vista 64.
Will I have worst gaming or programme performance using Vista 64 instead of 32?

At the end of the day I think the shop is trying to take the quick way out instead of giving me the system that I originally order and payed for (a working system with vista 64).

More about : vista gaming

July 18, 2008 10:24:24 AM

Running Vista Ultimate 64, and I have ZERO problems with games, or anything else. Granted, I don't use old hardware or old programs.

Read your thread... I haven't played with RAID arrays much, but I would opine that yours was installed/set up incorrectly and that is the likely root cause. I posted a link to a how to install thread, as it seems that Vista is picky about how this is done. Reading what your shop says, I would have taken my computer and worked on it myself... But if you feel you should, Give them the same opinion/information and see can they reinstall and correct.
July 18, 2008 10:53:07 AM

32 bit progs will work on a vista 64bit, i use 64bit ultimate with no problems with any program i use, now there could be an issue that some of the games that are used need to ran as administrator which can be resolved very easily, by right clicking on the icon and going to properties then compatabily, then run as administrator might fix some if your problems
Related resources
July 22, 2008 1:12:16 PM

Thanks for the reply. The general consensus I have gotten is inline with my experience (besides the raid) and that there are no or next to no issues from using vista 64.
July 22, 2008 1:19:50 PM

I run games on V 64 and have zero problems.

Yes, raid 1 is more reliable for 'data protection' and hopefully for uptime but obviously it adds an extra layer of complexity so I would not be shocked if that turned out to be the problem. Perhaps the controller has issues with the MOBO or with Vista, it's hard to say. I didn't follow your story all the way in the other thread but if you suspect it is the raid array then I would try temporarily remove the raided drives and install another single drive and install v 64. If you have same problems then it isn't raid. It could be ram. Ram configuration has been a real issue lately. You need to be sure to manually set voltage to mfg specs. Sometime tweaks to the Northbridge voltage are needed and sometimes when all four ram slots are filled you need to back off on speed and timings to get it stable.
July 22, 2008 1:22:51 PM

Has anyone run a game on 32 and 64 and if so how does the performance compare, was there any noticeable effect one way or the other? I'm not a hard core gamer I enjoy my pc because it allows me to play games, surf the net and do the things I want it to do.
July 22, 2008 1:25:46 PM

I had Vista 32 before I switched to 64, and while I haven't used FRAPS to record frame rates, I noticed no difference.
July 22, 2008 1:33:45 PM

BWMerlin said:
Has anyone run a game on 32 and 64 and if so how does the performance compare, was there any noticeable effect one way or the other? I'm not a hard core gamer I enjoy my pc because it allows me to play games, surf the net and do the things I want it to do.

Benchmarks I have seen indicate there is little or no difference. The last set I looked at had 64 ever so slightly ahead.

I didn't follow your story all the way in the other thread but if you suspect it is the raid array then I would try temporarily remove the raided drives and install another single drive and install v 64. If you have same problems then it isn't raid. It could be ram. Ram configuration has been a real issue lately. You need to be sure to manually set voltage to mfg specs. Sometime tweaks to the Northbridge voltage are needed and sometimes when all four ram slots are filled you need to back off on speed and timings to get it stable.

Has the frimware been updated on the raid controller?
July 22, 2008 10:14:29 PM

From what the technician relaid to me the system was working fine when running as two independent drives. I have no idea if they adjusted voltages at all or if drivers were the latest from the manufactures website as I left it all up to them to fix the problem.
July 23, 2008 8:48:15 AM

Update. I called the store today and it seem the guy who was handling my computer has left (this must have occurred over the weekend, needless to say I am not impressed that know one bothered to inform me). The new person who seems to know what has been going on has told me today that it is the graphics card (MSI 8800GT OC) and its drivers for 64 that are causing the problem. Currently it is being tested with a differnt manufactures card (Leadteak I don't know what model) and I will receive a phone call tomorrow.

This has become such a circus, currently the computer will have been at the shop for a month and only know they have identified that it *may* be the graphics card causing the problem. At the moment I am either going to take my money back or get a brand new pc, My mum wants me to take it back when/if they fix it because if I get a new one I could have the same problem, my think it that I should not have had these problems so I want/deserve a fresh start with a new pc (it may be selfish/greedy but I will be able to get a better speced pc for the price I paid for this one).
July 23, 2008 1:33:03 PM

hmmm, drivers for an 8800 gt? well nvidia writes the drivers, not MSI

it could be the 'OC', which suggests MSI is overclocking the card above mfg specs, sometimes this causes problems, but it shouldn't unless they didn't test it properly - it could also be the shop gave you an underpowered or inexpensive power supply and this in conjunction with the OC (or without the OC) is the cause of the problem. Out of curiosity, what brand and model power supply did you get?
July 24, 2008 2:46:30 AM

My PSU is a CoolMaster eXtreme Power 550W (RP-550-PCAR is what I think is its model number) and my gfx card is a MSI NX8800GT (NX8800GT-T2D512E-OC).
July 24, 2008 7:17:58 AM

I would just say to get your money back, I wouldnt trust any band of clowns who can't figure this out within a month with installing ram -.-
I suggest finding a more competent store, or building a pc yourself using this site for help/support, as there are plenty of ppl here who can assist you
!