Sign in with
Your question

Need help booting from cd

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
March 22, 2011 12:56:29 AM

Hello,

I am running windows 7 and ubuntu 10-04.2 on different partitions. I usually use my unubutu operating system and it all worked fine untill today. I was running windows, I installed the mccafee antivirus and then after it was finished installing my batery died and the comupter shut down by itself for lack of power.

When I tried to boot up the computer again, it did not work. What happens is that the computer opens, I see a black screen with Acer writen in the middle and then press f2 to enter setup at the bottom left corner.

I entered the setup to try and boot in a recovery mode or something but no such option exists. The only change I made was to switch the settings so in the main menu so that the f12 boot menu is now enabled.

I did not come around to make a windows cd so I cannot use it to reboot. I have a ubuntu cd that I want to use however the problem is that the system does not boot from the cd when I put it in.

After enabling the f12 setting as stated above, I now see the option press f12 to change boot device appar at the bottom right of the screen mentioned above. Everything else stays the same. When I press that I get 3 options:

1-IDE 0: WDC WD2500BEVT - 22A23T0
2-IDE1: optiarc DVD RW AD-7585H
3-Network boot: atheros boot agent

There is no option to boot from cd in this list ( not from what I understand)

I called tech support at acer and they had me push the alt+ f10 keys and it did not help neither did the f8 key work. The guy transfered me to someone else when I told him I was running two systems and then I was told that I would have to pay for support and I hung up.

I know that the ununtu cd would solve my problems, all I need is to get this computer to boot from it ( at least I think thats all I need)

Please help if you can!

More about : booting

March 22, 2011 3:13:25 AM

Try boot option #2. See what happens.
m
l
March 22, 2011 11:07:17 PM

Boot option #2 is your optical drive (the newer way of saying CD-ROM); Its actually a DVD drive that reads both DVD and CD's.
m
l
!