SA 3100HD with SDTV

I would like to use a Scientific Atlanta 3100HD cable box with my SD
television system. I'd like to watch an HD cable program with video
output from the S-Video out and audio in 5.1 surround through the
digital out. Does the 3100HD automatically downconvert to the S-Video
out in real-time? Is anyone using a setup like this? Thanks, -jl
6 answers Last reply
More about 3100hd sdtv

    synthetic wrote:
    > I would like to use a Scientific Atlanta 3100HD cable box with my SD
    > television system. I'd like to watch an HD cable program with video
    > output from the S-Video out and audio in 5.1 surround through the
    > digital out. Does the 3100HD automatically downconvert to the S-Video
    > out in real-time? Is anyone using a setup like this? Thanks, -jl

    Do you mean SD? S-Video can not handle the bandwidth of High
    Definition. Since you mentioned downcoverting I assume you ment to say
    "I'd like to watch SD cable from S-Video", to answer that question, on
    the Scentific Atlanta 3100HD you have to go into the setup menu (I
    believe you have to hold down guide with the power off, call you cable
    company and they will tell you) once in this menu you need to select
    480i for SD programming, the box defaults to 480p (it has a upconverter
    built in for all SD programming, but if you let it upconvert everything
    then you no longer have an SD signal, only HD so the S-Video and
    composite out ports are disabled by default.

    "synthetic" <synthetic@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >I would like to use a Scientific Atlanta 3100HD cable box with my SD
    > television system. I'd like to watch an HD cable program with video
    > output from the S-Video out and audio in 5.1 surround through the
    > digital out. Does the 3100HD automatically downconvert to the S-Video
    > out in real-time? Is anyone using a setup like this? Thanks, -jl
    =====
    No, 3100HDs won't downconvert HDTV to S-video, etc.
    John

    synthetic a écrit :
    > I would like to use a Scientific Atlanta 3100HD cable box with my SD
    > television system. I'd like to watch an HD cable program with video
    > output from the S-Video out and audio in 5.1 surround through the
    > digital out. Does the 3100HD automatically downconvert to the S-Video
    > out in real-time? Is anyone using a setup like this? Thanks, -jl

    3100HD can get only hd station on his component output, even SD station
    doesn't work on those output. For SD you need to use rf connector
    and/or composite and/or s-video cable.

    I've followed this thread and am considering getting an HDTV set. I want
    to replace my current TWC (Time-Warner) box with a 3100HD as they said it
    would be needed. Can I still watch everything, except HD programs, using my
    SD TV and SA3100D until my HDTV set arrives? (Since I haven't decided on a
    HDTV set yet that could be a while.) My TWC company gave me a muddled
    answer... like probably it won't work. The answer below seems to say yes
    it will work. Please confirm. (I use the s-video output now on my old SD
    cable box.)

    George

    MB wrote:

    > synthetic a écrit :
    > > I would like to use a Scientific Atlanta 3100HD cable box with my SD
    > > television system. I'd like to watch an HD cable program with video
    > > output from the S-Video out and audio in 5.1 surround through the
    > > digital out. Does the 3100HD automatically downconvert to the S-Video
    > > out in real-time? Is anyone using a setup like this? Thanks, -jl
    > >
    > 3100HD can get only hd station on his component output, even SD station
    > doesn't work on those output. For SD you need to use rf connector
    > and/or composite and/or s-video cable.

    Yes.... On S-Video output it's only sd station available with model
    3100Hd. Try to ask your cable compagny about 3250HD from scientific
    atlanta.. It's a better box... On this one you can plug the component
    cable and the box up-convert the sd signal on component output of the box...

    "MB" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Yes.... On S-Video output it's only sd station available with model
    > 3100Hd. Try to ask your cable compagny about 3250HD from scientific
    > atlanta.. It's a better box... On this one you can plug the component
    > cable and the box up-convert the sd signal on component output of the
    box...

    This is certainly convenient, but for analog channels, chances are using the
    tuner in your television and letting the set upconvert will look better. It
    does in every one that I have tried.

    Leonard

HDTV TV Cable Home Theatre