Sign in with
Your question

Windows Check Disk always starts on computer boot

Last response: in Windows XP
June 17, 2008 1:21:21 AM

I just built a new system, ASUS P5K-E Wifi with Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 2.53Ghz processor and 2Gb Corsair RAM. I have two hard drives, one connected to SATA and the other ATA. I have had these hard drives connected in the same way before on my old motherboard (Asus P4P800S) and had no problems. Everytime I start my computer Windows XP wants to check disk on E: which is my ATA hard drive. There are no errors when after the disk check is completed and both hard drives function properly without any problems. The hard drive that always goes through the check is one of my extra hard drives that I use for backup and storage. Any ideas as to why this would be happening? Thanks!
December 9, 2012 1:36:06 PM

motoracer11 said:
I just built a new system, ASUS P5K-E Wifi with Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 2.53Ghz processor and 2Gb Corsair RAM. I have two hard drives, one connected to SATA and the other ATA. I have had these hard drives connected in the same way before on my old motherboard (Asus P4P800S) and had no problems. Everytime I start my computer Windows XP wants to check disk on E: which is my ATA hard drive. There are no errors when after the disk check is completed and both hard drives function properly without any problems. The hard drive that always goes through the check is one of my extra hard drives that I use for backup and storage. Any ideas as to why this would be happening? Thanks!

I had this issue for 8 months... Nothing worked, and it ALWAYS did the check disk routine when powering up... that takes about fifteen minutes on my system. The solution came when I realized that NORTON DISK DOCTOR was preventing the OS from setting the flag that indicated that a check disk routine was needed. I uninstalled NORTON DISK DOCTOR (Actually a part of NORTON UTILITIES) and the problem was solved (of course it did have to run check disk one more time to reset the dirty bit flag).

I have a new troubleshooting rule. If you have issues you can't figure out, UNINSTALL NORTON PRODUCTS. if that doesn't fix the problem, go on to another idea.
Related resources
!