Running Windows 2000 in VM

The Stealthinator

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
I have setup Windows 2000 in VMware Player. But when I am running the OS, I cannot change the resolution above 640x480 nor the colour above 16-bit. I have all required components downloaded and installed. Any help appreciated!

I can only say that I have just tried a Windows 2000 installation on VMWare Player. Until I installed VMWare Tools in the VM I got exactly the behaviour you report. After installing VMWare Tools (which I had to jump through a few hoops to do), I get a variety of resoultions, including the infinitely variable VMWare mode, with colours up to 32-bit.

Are you sure the tools installed correctly? Do you get the VMWare Tools icon in the task bar?

The only other suggestion that I can make is that you experiment with the "Enable 3D acceleration" setting in the VM settings.

If you don't know 100% for sure that you have installed VMWare Tools then you almost certainly haven't. This is particularly true for Windows 2000 as you need to install SP2 or higher and then an additional fix before they will install. Without the tools installed you get exactly the symptoms you describe.

Downloading the tools isn't enough. You then have to install the tools from within the guest OS on every VM. Instructions for doing that at: http://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/ws_newguest_tools_windows.html . But first read this note from VMWare: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2007120 . As the fix requires SP2 or greater, you may as well install SP4 before starting. You need to use the standalone installer to do this; the normal selective installer doesn't work.

I have been unable to get Window Update to work. I suspect this may be because Windows 2000 is beyond it's support date, although it did work a year or two back when I last did a 2000 installation. Also you are very limited in which versions of IE you can run, so would probably want to use some other browser.

I have been unable to get Window Update to work. I suspect this may be because Windows 2000 is beyond it's support date, although it did work a year or two back when I last did a 2000 installation.
Microsoft has turned off the older v4 update servers that handled Windows 9x/ME/2000. We're on our own for updates on those older OS's.