Sign in with
Your question

Wireless LAN without net access

Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 24, 2007 2:09:09 PM

I have this netgear wireless router
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
My question is how can i create a wireless LAN for me and my next door friends to play LAN games without the need for an internet access.all the documentatin i have read abt the router require u to have a cable or dsl connection.
my dsl is disconnected for a few months and i am relying only on dial up. how do i put this router to use wothout a net connection.
P.S. i am a complete beginner when it comes to networking!!!
July 24, 2007 2:17:47 PM

schumi_thelegend said:
I have this netgear wireless router
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
My question is how can i create a wireless LAN for me and my next door friends to play LAN games without the need for an internet access.all the documentatin i have read abt the router require u to have a cable or dsl connection.
my dsl is disconnected for a few months and i am relying only on dial up. how do i put this router to use wothout a net connection.
P.S. i am a complete beginner when it comes to networking!!!

Give AT&T a call and explain you have a router and have figured out you can't use it without a net connection and would like to purchase one of their high speed connection packages.
July 24, 2007 4:53:49 PM

so u mean a net connection is compulsory for wireless networking???
Related resources
July 25, 2007 6:22:32 AM

what if i wanted to check the routers range and connectivity with my friend b4 buying a net connection. is it possible???
Anonymous
July 25, 2007 12:12:00 PM

You don't need an Internet connection to connect 2 computers. Just connect your PC to one of the LAN ports and have your friend look for the Wireless Network.

Grumpy
July 25, 2007 2:52:29 PM

Of course i tried doing that. problem is no connection is found even if his laptop is placed in the same room as the router. Also, the wireless light on the router does not turn on which means that it is not even transmitting signals.
July 25, 2007 3:57:34 PM

Hey there - no, you don't need an internet connection if all you are planning on doing is connecting two PC's to a wireless router. If I were you I would focus on connecting one of the PC's (wirelessly) to the router 1st - if you can't do this perhaps you should contact Netgear support to talk you thru it. The process is pretty simple, but you should also set up security so no rogue users can use your LAN without your permission - it would take a while to write how to do all this (depending on your router interface - all models are different), I would suggest a techie call to Netgear in the 1st instance! Either that or traul thru a basic wireless guide via google. Hope that helps. Cheers, DjH
Anonymous
July 26, 2007 11:02:04 AM

Connect to the router through a wired connection and use the manual setup. On Netgears, you have to enable the Wireless, it's turned off by default.

Grumpy
!