Differences between cloned drive and original

May 18, 2005 1:37:02 AM

I've been using Ghost 2003 to make a clone of my Master
Drive (XP/SP2) in Slave position on IDE cable, to use as
a live backup of the Master OS.

Today I found these differences:

Master was running 237 MB PF usage, when I booted to it
as the operating system, while the Clone ran only
100 MB PF usage when I booted to it as the active
operating system. (Both on the IDE cable at the same time).

When running the Clone as the active OS, the Task Manager
column for the User Name was completely blank. Image
names are all there. (Both one the IDE cable at same time).

The bottom toolbar was a pale gray on the Clone system,
instead of the light olive drab color as in the Master.

When operating the Clone Syatem, booting to it in Slave
position, the Desktop Icons are all present and all
functional.

I hope I've described it clearly, and would appreciate
any helpful (n.b.) comments on the above.
William B. Lurie
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 3:42:09 AM

Not much of a clone if it isn't exact, is it. I have no experience with
Ghost 2003. I have used Drive image from version 1 through 7 and now use
Ghost 9 (Drive Image).

My clones have always been exact!

Can't help you but you asked for comments! (-:

Bye the way, pagefile usage will not necessarily be the same, even in exact
clones.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

<billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message news:428A9C3E.40303@nospam.org...
> I've been using Ghost 2003 to make a clone of my Master
> Drive (XP/SP2) in Slave position on IDE cable, to use as
> a live backup of the Master OS.
>
> Today I found these differences:
>
> Master was running 237 MB PF usage, when I booted to it
> as the operating system, while the Clone ran only
> 100 MB PF usage when I booted to it as the active
> operating system. (Both on the IDE cable at the same time).
>
> When running the Clone as the active OS, the Task Manager
> column for the User Name was completely blank. Image
> names are all there. (Both one the IDE cable at same time).
>
> The bottom toolbar was a pale gray on the Clone system,
> instead of the light olive drab color as in the Master.
>
> When operating the Clone Syatem, booting to it in Slave
> position, the Desktop Icons are all present and all
> functional.
>
> I hope I've described it clearly, and would appreciate
> any helpful (n.b.) comments on the above.
> William B. Lurie
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 3:32:06 PM

In article <428A9C3E.40303@nospam.org>, billurie@nospam.org says...
> I've been using Ghost 2003 to make a clone of my Master
> Drive (XP/SP2) in Slave position on IDE cable, to use as
> a live backup of the Master OS.
>
> Today I found these differences:
>
> Master was running 237 MB PF usage, when I booted to it
> as the operating system, while the Clone ran only
> 100 MB PF usage when I booted to it as the active
> operating system. (Both on the IDE cable at the same time).
>
> When running the Clone as the active OS, the Task Manager
> column for the User Name was completely blank. Image
> names are all there. (Both one the IDE cable at same time).
>
> The bottom toolbar was a pale gray on the Clone system,
> instead of the light olive drab color as in the Master.
>
> When operating the Clone Syatem, booting to it in Slave
> position, the Desktop Icons are all present and all
> functional.
>
> I hope I've described it clearly, and would appreciate
> any helpful (n.b.) comments on the above.

You didn't do something correctly if you got those results.

If you do a DISK TO DISK COPY when you boot the second disk IS AN EXACT
COPY and there is NOTHING missing. I've used G2003 for years, it always
works when you clone a disk.

It could be that you're leaving the disk connected and that something
from the booting OS is messing with the second drive as I never ghost a
disk to disk and leave the cloned disk in place.

Also, you are doing this from a DOS BOOT DISK, right?

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
May 18, 2005 6:07:06 PM

Leythos wrote:
> In article <428A9C3E.40303@nospam.org>, billurie@nospam.org says...
>
>>I've been using Ghost 2003 to make a clone of my Master
>>Drive (XP/SP2) in Slave position on IDE cable, to use as
>>a live backup of the Master OS.
>>
>>Today I found these differences:
>>
>>Master was running 237 MB PF usage, when I booted to it
>>as the operating system, while the Clone ran only
>>100 MB PF usage when I booted to it as the active
>>operating system. (Both on the IDE cable at the same time).
>>
>>When running the Clone as the active OS, the Task Manager
>>column for the User Name was completely blank. Image
>>names are all there. (Both one the IDE cable at same time).
>>
>>The bottom toolbar was a pale gray on the Clone system,
>>instead of the light olive drab color as in the Master.
>>
>>When operating the Clone Syatem, booting to it in Slave
>>position, the Desktop Icons are all present and all
>>functional.
>>
>>I hope I've described it clearly, and would appreciate
>>any helpful (n.b.) comments on the above.
>

> You didn't do something correctly if you got those results.

Yes, I can agree with that.......but what I did was so simple, I
couldn't have done it wrong. I loaded G2003, went to Clone, indicated
the source and where to put the copy, and let it run its course.

> If you do a DISK TO DISK COPY when you boot the second disk IS AN EXACT
> COPY and there is NOTHING missing. I've used G2003 for years, it always
> works when you clone a disk.

Read on.

> It could be that you're leaving the disk connected and that something
> from the booting OS is messing with the second drive as I never ghost a
> disk to disk and leave the cloned disk in place.

The master and clone have to both be in place to make the clone,
obviously. When I finish, I change the BIOS and let it boot
to the Clone (HDD-1). That's a simple straightforward dual-boot
operation, and has worked for years. The Clone then works as the
only Active OS.... The original Master is not running as an OS.

> Also, you are doing this from a DOS BOOT DISK, right?

I have no DOS BOOT DISK. I run Norton System Works, select GHOST,
select Advanced, select CLONE a disk and it runs.

--
William B. Lurie
Anonymous

Bill,

Clear the cobwebs from your head and learn about disk imaging anew. You have
many misconceptions.

A clone is just that. After you make the clone you disconnect it from the
connecting cables. Then you take the cables that are attached to your main
hard drive (source of clone) and connect them to your cloned hard drive. Now
boot up. That way the cloned Windows XP operating system is in the same
relative physical position as the original (drive and partition wise)

I have told you this before - a few times I think. Windows XP is Drive and
Partition sensitive. When you install Windows XP on Drive 0, Partition 0 you
can not clone the drive to Drive 1, Partition 0 and expect it to boot or run
properly - no matter what you chose in the bios.

What you are trying to do, the way you are doing it, is called dual boot.
For that you start from scratch and install the operating system on the
second hard drive. This one you leave connected all the time.

I have suggested before that you download the manual for Drive Image 2002
(now available on the Ghost 9 CD) from the Symantec web site. Then read it
and learn the basics. I think you are delving right into copying and cloning
without knowing the rules of the road. Therefore you have been lost for the
past 6 months.

You seem no closer to success now than you were at your first post of many
months ago!

If you want I will send you the full documentation files from Drive Image
2002. The theory also applies to Ghost 2003.

--

> Leythos wrote:
>> In article <428A9C3E.40303@nospam.org>, billurie@nospam.org says...
>>
>>>I've been using Ghost 2003 to make a clone of my Master
>>>Drive (XP/SP2) in Slave position on IDE cable, to use as
>>>a live backup of the Master OS.
>>>
>>>Today I found these differences:
>>>
>>>Master was running 237 MB PF usage, when I booted to it
>>>as the operating system, while the Clone ran only
>>>100 MB PF usage when I booted to it as the active
>>>operating system. (Both on the IDE cable at the same time).
>>>
>>>When running the Clone as the active OS, the Task Manager
>>>column for the User Name was completely blank. Image
>>>names are all there. (Both one the IDE cable at same time).
>>>
>>>The bottom toolbar was a pale gray on the Clone system,
>>>instead of the light olive drab color as in the Master.
>>>
>>>When operating the Clone Syatem, booting to it in Slave
>>>position, the Desktop Icons are all present and all
>>>functional.
>>>
>>>I hope I've described it clearly, and would appreciate
>>>any helpful (n.b.) comments on the above.
>>

>> You didn't do something correctly if you got those results.
>
> Yes, I can agree with that.......but what I did was so simple, I couldn't
> have done it wrong. I loaded G2003, went to Clone, indicated
> the source and where to put the copy, and let it run its course.
>>
>> If you do a DISK TO DISK COPY when you boot the second disk IS AN EXACT
>> COPY and there is NOTHING missing. I've used G2003 for years, it always
>> works when you clone a disk.
>
> Read on.
>>
>> It could be that you're leaving the disk connected and that something
>> from the booting OS is messing with the second drive as I never ghost a
>> disk to disk and leave the cloned disk in place.
>
> The master and clone have to both be in place to make the clone,
> obviously. When I finish, I change the BIOS and let it boot
> to the Clone (HDD-1). That's a simple straightforward dual-boot
> operation, and has worked for years. The Clone then works as the
> only Active OS.... The original Master is not running as an OS.
>>
>> Also, you are doing this from a DOS BOOT DISK, right?
>>
> I have no DOS BOOT DISK. I run Norton System Works, select GHOST,
> select Advanced, select CLONE a disk and it runs.
>
> --
> William B. Lurie
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 6:44:34 PM

Sorry! I got my imaging programs mixed up. The Drive Image 2002 version is
on the Drive Image 7 CD, not the Ghost 9 CD.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

> [...]
>>> COPY and there is NOTHING missing. I've used G2003 for years, it always
>>> works when you clone a disk.
>>
>> Read on.
>>>
>>> It could be that you're leaving the disk connected and that something
>>> from the booting OS is messing with the second drive as I never ghost a
>>> disk to disk and leave the cloned disk in place.
>>
>> The master and clone have to both be in place to make the clone,
>> obviously. When I finish, I change the BIOS and let it boot
>> to the Clone (HDD-1). That's a simple straightforward dual-boot
>> operation, and has worked for years. The Clone then works as the
>> only Active OS.... The original Master is not running as an OS.
>>>
>>> Also, you are doing this from a DOS BOOT DISK, right?
>>>
>> I have no DOS BOOT DISK. I run Norton System Works, select GHOST,
>> select Advanced, select CLONE a disk and it runs.

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 7:49:46 PM

Go here and read about hard disk partitions, drive relationships etc.!

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/index-c.html

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

<billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
> Leythos wrote:
>> In article <428A9C3E.40303@nospam.org>, billurie@nospam.org says...
>>
>>>I've been using Ghost 2003 to make a clone of my Master
>>>Drive (XP/SP2) in Slave position on IDE cable, to use as
>>>a live backup of the Master OS.
>>>
>>>Today I found these differences:
>>>
>>>Master was running 237 MB PF usage, when I booted to it
>>>as the operating system, while the Clone ran only
>>>100 MB PF usage when I booted to it as the active
>>>operating system. (Both on the IDE cable at the same time).
>>>
>>>When running the Clone as the active OS, the Task Manager
>>>column for the User Name was completely blank. Image
>>>names are all there. (Both one the IDE cable at same time).
>>>
>>>The bottom toolbar was a pale gray on the Clone system,
>>>instead of the light olive drab color as in the Master.
>>>
>>>When operating the Clone Syatem, booting to it in Slave
>>>position, the Desktop Icons are all present and all
>>>functional.
>>>
>>>I hope I've described it clearly, and would appreciate
>>>any helpful (n.b.) comments on the above.
>>

>> You didn't do something correctly if you got those results.
>
> Yes, I can agree with that.......but what I did was so simple, I couldn't
> have done it wrong. I loaded G2003, went to Clone, indicated
> the source and where to put the copy, and let it run its course.
>>
>> If you do a DISK TO DISK COPY when you boot the second disk IS AN EXACT
>> COPY and there is NOTHING missing. I've used G2003 for years, it always
>> works when you clone a disk.
>
> Read on.
>>
>> It could be that you're leaving the disk connected and that something
>> from the booting OS is messing with the second drive as I never ghost a
>> disk to disk and leave the cloned disk in place.
>
> The master and clone have to both be in place to make the clone,
> obviously. When I finish, I change the BIOS and let it boot
> to the Clone (HDD-1). That's a simple straightforward dual-boot
> operation, and has worked for years. The Clone then works as the
> only Active OS.... The original Master is not running as an OS.
>>
>> Also, you are doing this from a DOS BOOT DISK, right?
>>
> I have no DOS BOOT DISK. I run Norton System Works, select GHOST,
> select Advanced, select CLONE a disk and it runs.
>
> --
> William B. Lurie
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 8:13:07 PM

Richard Urban wrote:
> Bill,
>
> Clear the cobwebs from your head and learn about disk imaging anew. You have
> many misconceptions.
>
> A clone is just that. After you make the clone you disconnect it from the
> connecting cables. Then you take the cables that are attached to your main
> hard drive (source of clone) and connect them to your cloned hard drive. Now
> boot up. That way the cloned Windows XP operating system is in the same
> relative physical position as the original (drive and partition wise)

Okay, Richard. I'll try it exactly as you state it.

Bill
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 2:17:35 AM

In article <eXU#sR9WFHA.1508@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, billurie@nospam.org
says...
> Yes, I can agree with that.......but what I did was so simple, I
> couldn't have done it wrong. I loaded G2003, went to Clone, indicated
> the source and where to put the copy, and let it run its course.

That's not the same as making an exact clone, and leaving it connected
is not the same either.

You needed to make a Ghost Boot disk, select Utility menu, then make
boot disk, and clone, then remove the old drive....

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
September 10, 2005 1:14:40 PM

I stumbled on this thread whn I posted the thread on "configuration change".
I have Ghost 9. When I installed the 250gb drive on my system I set it as
slave and also bought Ghost. I've been making clones (occasionally) of my
120gb boot drive (I do manually copy some things such as databases when
revised and pictures loaded from my dSLR (KM Maxxum 7D - Great Camera), etc
to the clone also whenever the files are updated). I always figured I would
some day soon swap the drives around, make the 250GB the primary and the
120gb slave. I figured all that was needed to be done. After reading your
posts I checked Ghost. I didn't even see an option to make a DOS Ghost boot
disk. I did wonder about that when I first got it. I've used backups of
windows in the past and know the problem of cloning open files but figured
the problem was solved in the latest version. So am I missing something?

> Not much of a clone if it isn't exact, is it. I have no experience with
> Ghost 2003. I have used Drive image from version 1 through 7 and now use
> Ghost 9 (Drive Image).
>
> My clones have always been exact!
>
> Can't help you but you asked for comments! (-:
>
> Bye the way, pagefile usage will not necessarily be the same, even in
> exact clones.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

> <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message news:428A9C3E.40303@nospam.org...
>> I've been using Ghost 2003 to make a clone of my Master
>> Drive (XP/SP2) in Slave position on IDE cable, to use as
>> a live backup of the Master OS.
>>
>> Today I found these differences:
>>
>> Master was running 237 MB PF usage, when I booted to it
>> as the operating system, while the Clone ran only
>> 100 MB PF usage when I booted to it as the active
>> operating system. (Both on the IDE cable at the same time).
>>
>> When running the Clone as the active OS, the Task Manager
>> column for the User Name was completely blank. Image
>> names are all there. (Both one the IDE cable at same time).
>>
>> The bottom toolbar was a pale gray on the Clone system,
>> instead of the light olive drab color as in the Master.
>>
>> When operating the Clone Syatem, booting to it in Slave
>> position, the Desktop Icons are all present and all
>> functional.
>>
>> I hope I've described it clearly, and would appreciate
>> any helpful (n.b.) comments on the above.
>> William B. Lurie

Anonymous
September 10, 2005 2:24:46 PM

Ghost 9 uses the Ghost CD to boot with. You don't create DOS floppies as you
did with the earlier versions of Ghost, or with Drive Image prior to version
7.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban