What is my computers issue?

xringx

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
Yesterday, system would run, then freeze. Sometime it would boot, sometimes not. Then it ran for about 2hrs, then I shut it down for the night.

This morning. Boot up no problem, about 5 mins later, freeze.

Now sometime it will go through the boot sequence, sometimes not and have to restart several times.

when it does start, I can play in Bios no prob. I tried windows repair, safe mode etc. When it starts downloading, it freezes.

I called Samsung, who made my HD, they say that while it could by my HD, from the other problems I listed its more likely MB or CPU.

Any suggestions?

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Maybe the cpu is overheating. Check the hsf, it might be mounting incorrectly.

It could also be your ram. Try to run Memtest86 for a couple hours and see if you get any errors.

This is the most unlikly problem, but I figured I would through it out there. It could be your psu, massive voltage fluctuations could cause freezing, crashing, ect. What kind of psu do you have? If It's a low quality unit (rosewill, Apevia ect.) unlikly turns into possibly.

xringx

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
PSU is Ultra X connect 500w Platinum

I cant get windows to load, how am I going to run a diagnostic program? Unless mem test runs on boot up.

My cpu temp is fine, unloaded per speed fan is high 30's loaded is generally under 50c

I do have more memory I can install to see if that is the issue. Will reply in a few minutes.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Memtest is ran like a bootup disk (it tests your memory fully without windows in the background, basically a dos program). You can run it off a floppy or cd. It is found:

Memtest86+

Might help if you tell everyone your setup is, a list of parts. Is it a system you built your self, or something that was prebuilt like a dell?

What OS are your running, are you on the latest SP, and are you running the lastest drivers for your chipset/video/sound?

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Ok, so it's not the PSU, memory, cpu, and the optical drive couldnt be causing this AFAIK. So that leave the gfx card (unlikely), mobo, OS, and HDD.

If it's the mobo or HDD you would have to reinstall the OS anyway. Wipe the drive and reinstall. Not sure how you're going to do though. I've never had to wipe a drive before. I'll leave program recommendations to somebody else.

If that fixes it, awesome. If it doesnt, replace the HDD, if that doesnt fix it, return the HDD and replace the mobo, if that doesnt fix it, your computer hates you and I'm out of ideas.

xringx

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
Memtest is ran like a bootup disk (it tests your memory fully without windows in the background, basically a dos program). You can run it off a floppy or cd. It is found:

Memtest86+

Might help if you tell everyone your setup is, a list of parts. Is it a system you built your self, or something that was prebuilt like a dell?

What OS are your running, are you on the latest SP, and are you running the lastest drivers for your chipset/video/sound?

Thanks for the reply.

Its not the memory, I just stuck in 2 working sticks of 512 and same issue, the computer wont post.

My set up that I put toghether myself.

AMD fx-55 cooled with a zalman 7000 cu something or other.
Gigabyte GA-k8u-939 latest drivers and bios
Ultra x-connect 500w platinum edition (shinny box in otherwords)
4 x 512mb match memory
ATI x700pro agp video card.
samsung hd model sp0812c
samsung dvd/cd-r

I think I am going to have to try a new MOBO and see if that works. If not, return the mobo

After many tries, mobo powers up, fans spin, no post.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Disconnect everything but the psu, gfx card, ram, and cpu, then try to start it up. If it still doesnt post it's definitely a mobo problem.

xringx

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
Disconnect everything but the psu, gfx card, ram, and cpu, then try to start it up. If it still doesnt post it's definitely a mobo problem.

Well, that means I just disconnected the HD and CDrw

No post

but that doesnt mean the CPU didnt crap out either...

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Hey, I assume that you bought a NEW Gigabyte board, correct? Otherwise, I've had to RMA my refurbished Gigabyte board 2 times already, even after the previous owner RMA'd it....

Anyhow, most likely an issue with the MB. However, ensure that it's not a grounding issue by isolating your setup from your case.

xringx

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
Ok, got it figured out! I think.

I read somewhere else that if take the RAM out, If it beeps, RAM is faulty, if not, CPU or PSU

So, that what I did, I took the ram out and got a beeb. Next I stuck 1 stick in slot one, boot up!

Stuck 1 stick in slot 2, no boot

Stuck 1 stick in slot 3, boot!

Stuck 1 stick in slot 4, no boot!

Is this a slot issue, or could my results be from a duel channel thing?

BTW, I had my speaker plugged in wrong, thats why I didnt post anything about beeps, cause it never did.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
:lol:. o O (I was going to ask about those 2 things)

ya, that would have to do with dual channel. So slots 1 and 3 are used (as a pair). 2 and 4 are use for that (as a pair).

You could still try to use memtest to see if your ram may have any problems as far as memory timing from the bios. Though that would take awhile. Its a looped program so you would have to manually hit the esc button. I'd run it for at least 3 to 4 hours.

xringx

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
:lol:. o O (I was going to ask about those 2 things)

ya, that would have to do with dual channel. So slots 1 and 3 are used (as a pair). 2 and 4 are use for that (as a pair).

You could still try to use memtest to see if your ram may have any problems as far as memory timing from the bios. Though that would take awhile. Its a looped program so you would have to manually hit the esc button. I'd run it for at least 3 to 4 hours.

OK, new issue.

I thought I would try with different memory moduals, and now I am getting different results, even with the 1 stick of 512 that cause the puter to post.

Now I am getting slot 1 nothing, not even a beep
slot 2 just beeps
slot 3 nothing
slot 4 just beeps

Its gotta at least be MB and maybe memory. I am so glad its not CPU!

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
:oops:

I just took a peek at your manual:

[code:1:194fb64fbd]The following is a Dual Channel Memory configuration table: (DS: Double Side, SS: Single Side)
DDR 1 DDR 2 DDR 3 DDR 4
2 memory modules DS/SS DS/SS X X
X X DS/SS DS/SS
4 memory modules DS/SS DS/SS DS/SS DS/SS

If two memory modules are to be used to achieve Dual Channel mode, we recommend
installing them in DDR1 and DDR2 DIMM sockets.

All of the memory configurations below will cause system unable to boot.
(DS: Double Side, SS: Single Side)

DDR 1 DDR 2 DDR 3 DDR 4
1 memory module X DS/SS X X
X X X DS/SS
-----------------------------------------------
2 memory modules X DS/SS DS/SS X
DS/SS X X DS/SS
X DS/SS X DS/SS
------------------------------------------------
3 memory modules DS/SS DS/SS DS/SS X
X DS/SS DS/SS DS/SS
DS/SS X DS/SS DS/SS
DS/SS DS/SS X DS/SS
[/code:1:194fb64fbd]

Helps to read the manual. :lol:. o O (I hope I copied that right)

benzene

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
Before you RMA anything, do you know what voltage your RAM should run at?

Sometimes the issue can be caused by the BIOS default setting for vDimm (usually 1.8v) not being enough - use the slot and RAM module that will allow you to get into BIOS and try upping Vdimm to the RAM's specified voltage and then boot.

EDIT:

^
|
|
Or do what he said and RTFM!

xringx

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
Ok, update.

Just before Grim posted my manual info, I had looked it up. What caught my eye was that to reset the bios, I needed to take out battery for 10MIN!!!!!! or do the jumper thing.

Well, I was only popping my batter out for a few seconds to a minute, how ever long it took to get the suck back in (heat sink in the way etc) but not 10 mins.

So I did the jumper thing and wouldnt you know, I boot up.

I am now currently running using all my memory.

New issue or maybe the cause of all this, video card has crapped out. I cant change the resolution. Devise manager says its there (with yellow balloon) , but I cant change screen resolution or anything. I have tried redownloading the drivers, but that hasnt work. I cant even get the catalyst thing to open.