Sign in with
Your question

GA-M61VME-S2 Problem,expert/experienced users Helpme Please!

Last response: in Motherboards
May 17, 2007 3:38:27 PM

Hi Guys.

I buyed a GA-M61VME-S2 mobo (I know this is a low-end mobo, but It fills my needs), and I decided to buy a VGA card, finally I choose a ZOGIS 7300GT 256 MB / PCI-E, as I said, I don´t really need a expensive mega-powerfull PC, just something fast to run common aplications and some games.

my Specs:

* GA-M61VME-S mobo
* Athlon 64 X2 3800+
* 2 X 512 MB RAM / 533 MHZ Kingston
* 250 GB HDD Maxtor / IDE
* Win XP SP2 fully updated

Anyway, the Zogis card function well without the Nvidia driver, but when I try to install it the PC goes black screen, and when I restart Win XP the PC freezes on the Boot screen (that with the blue line), ALWAYS the PC do the same, even when I use the card's CD and the driver from the official Nvidia website.

Only when I start windows on "safe mode" can login normally, then I uninstall the Display driver, then I return to the start.....can login on Win XP normally but without the driver.

Later on, on the Gigabyte website I found a "VGA CARD SUPPORT LIST" for this mobo model.......The only one that have a support list I think......WTF?.

The BIG QUESTION to you, expert / experienced user is if this support list is defenitive and complete?.....Will I be able to install a diferent VGA card from the support list (like another brand-same chip or diferent model)?......or maybe the card are damaged or the PCI-E slot are damaged?

Please, I really go CRAZY with this issue, Its the first time I experience a problem like this.

Hope you can Help me.

THANX for the time and have a nice day.

....and sorry for my bad english, I'm a Mexican Girl ;) 
May 30, 2007 8:01:31 AM

>....and sorry for my bad english, I'm a Mexican Girl

Ok, I'm a Brazilian guy and I will answer you in bad english too!!!

>The BIG QUESTION to you, expert / experienced user is if this support list is defenitive and complete?.....Will I be able to install a diferent VGA card from the support list (like another brand-same chip or diferent model)?

I have this mobo and I think the only vga cards supported are those
in the list. The reason: it has a PCIEx16 slot that only works in x1 mode!
I think this is stupid, but I've read some stuff about it elsewhere.

There is another question I have about this mobo.

I have a SBLive! from 1999. It records in 16 bit. The question
is: the gigabyte mobo has a realtek 883 audio codec. Can it
record in 24 bit? Would it be better to use it for record from
analog source (line in) than the SBLive! ?

I've heard something about asio driver and kx driver having
great results...

Leon
May 30, 2007 9:05:52 AM

i brought this board too.... hoping i would get a xfx 8600gt xxx.. got the card put it in, and what do u know.... same problem as u lol!... and i could only get a little cpu overclock! oh well... i brought a new mb (MSI KN9-NEO-F) great board! got a good overclock too!

Simon
July 29, 2009 3:01:10 PM

LRUM said:
>....and sorry for my bad english, I'm a Mexican Girl

Ok, I'm a Brazilian guy and I will answer you in bad english too!!!

>The BIG QUESTION to you, expert / experienced user is if this support list is defenitive and complete?.....Will I be able to install a diferent VGA card from the support list (like another brand-same chip or diferent model)?

I have this mobo and I think the only vga cards supported are those
in the list. The reason: it has a PCIEx16 slot that only works in x1 mode!
I think this is stupid, but I've read some stuff about it elsewhere.

There is another question I have about this mobo.

I have a SBLive! from 1999. It records in 16 bit. The question
is: the gigabyte mobo has a realtek 883 audio codec. Can it
record in 24 bit? Would it be better to use it for record from
analog source (line in) than the SBLive! ?

I've heard something about asio driver and kx driver having
great results...

Leon

You'll be better with the onboard audio. the SnR is way better and the ASIO driver probably will work better with the new chipset.
Related resources
!