Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Remote into pc without logging off user

Last response: in Open Source Software
March 29, 2011 4:37:20 PM

I need some suggestions guys :D 

I'm looking for a way to remote into a Windows 7 computer using my Ubuntu machine without having to kick out the current Win7 user.

I know back when I was in school, we used this program in the Windows lab to remote into the Linux lab machines without the current Linux machine user being aware of it. But I can't seem remember what application we used before.

Reason I need this is, the Win7 machine is my parents' office pc which I'm also using as a torrent box. I want to be able to mess with my torrents stuff without having to kick out my parents if they happen to be using the Win7 machine.

I know Remote Desktop and vnc would logoff the current user and take over the pc. Any other suggestions besides these? Thanks

More about : remote logging user

March 29, 2011 6:32:32 PM

Windows 7 is not a multiuser system (unlike Linux), so I think what you are asking for is impossible. (Although there is Terminal Services on Windows Server.)

But I'll be interested if anyone comes up with an answer.
m
l
March 29, 2011 10:17:49 PM

Most torrent clients offer a webshell that you can access, or you can ssh into the win7 pc
m
l
Related resources
March 30, 2011 1:03:20 PM

skittle said:
Most torrent clients offer a webshell that you can access, or you can ssh into the win7 pc

webshell + shared folders is what I'm using right now. they're ok for basic stuff such as adding/deleting torrents and transferring files

but there are also times when I need more control :D 

@ijack: I agree, I've been reading around the past couple of days and most sources do say that Win7 is a single user OS
m
l
March 30, 2011 1:49:15 PM

Find a torrent program that has a webshell that supports the features you want.
m
l
March 30, 2011 2:50:20 PM

If you need more control then just ssh into it.
m
l
March 30, 2011 2:54:42 PM

kitkat12012 said:
webshell + shared folders is what I'm using right now. they're ok for basic stuff such as adding/deleting torrents and transferring files

but there are also times when I need more control :D 

@ijack: I agree, I've been reading around the past couple of days and most sources do say that Win7 is a single user OS

Hi,
It is definitely possible, just needs a little persuasion!!.

Windows 7 is very similar to it's server cousin and certain things can be enabled with a few key file replacements.

Download this file http://www.sendspace.com/file/ne92cb it contains a batch file which needs to be edited, line 2 and 4 should reflect your version of Widows, running the batch file copies the modified dll which removes the login limit, as with terminal services on server 2008.

Hope this helps guys.
m
l