Remote into pc without logging off user

I need some suggestions guys :D

I'm looking for a way to remote into a Windows 7 computer using my Ubuntu machine without having to kick out the current Win7 user.

I know back when I was in school, we used this program in the Windows lab to remote into the Linux lab machines without the current Linux machine user being aware of it. But I can't seem remember what application we used before.

Reason I need this is, the Win7 machine is my parents' office pc which I'm also using as a torrent box. I want to be able to mess with my torrents stuff without having to kick out my parents if they happen to be using the Win7 machine.

I know Remote Desktop and vnc would logoff the current user and take over the pc. Any other suggestions besides these? Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about remote logging user
  1. Windows 7 is not a multiuser system (unlike Linux), so I think what you are asking for is impossible. (Although there is Terminal Services on Windows Server.)

But I'll be interested if anyone comes up with an answer.
  2. Most torrent clients offer a webshell that you can access, or you can ssh into the win7 pc
  3. skittle said:
    Most torrent clients offer a webshell that you can access, or you can ssh into the win7 pc

webshell + shared folders is what I'm using right now. they're ok for basic stuff such as adding/deleting torrents and transferring files

but there are also times when I need more control :D

@ijack: I agree, I've been reading around the past couple of days and most sources do say that Win7 is a single user OS
  4. Find a torrent program that has a webshell that supports the features you want.
  5. If you need more control then just ssh into it.
  6. kitkat12012 said:
    webshell + shared folders is what I'm using right now. they're ok for basic stuff such as adding/deleting torrents and transferring files

but there are also times when I need more control :D

@ijack: I agree, I've been reading around the past couple of days and most sources do say that Win7 is a single user OS

Hi,
    It is definitely possible, just needs a little persuasion!!.

Windows 7 is very similar to it's server cousin and certain things can be enabled with a few key file replacements.

Download this file http://www.sendspace.com/file/ne92cb it contains a batch file which needs to be edited, line 2 and 4 should reflect your version of Widows, running the batch file copies the modified dll which removes the login limit, as with terminal services on server 2008.

Hope this helps guys.
Ask a new question