Why CPU Pentium D so hot >70 C

Last response: in CPUs
May 17, 2007 3:58:54 PM

My PC is so hot. CPU temp always is greater than 70 C degree
My CPU + fan zin.
Please help me :wink:

More about : cpu pentium hot

May 17, 2007 4:38:23 PM

Give a complete description of your machine including heatsink type, who built it and how you are measuring those temps.
May 17, 2007 4:39:43 PM

It's possible that the HSF isn't seated properly. This is a common problem with the Intel clip-in system. Make sure that the HSF is properly in place. Did you put the computer together yourself? You might also want to make sure that the thermal grease has spread properly - I don't know of any way to non-destructively test this, though.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 17, 2007 5:00:50 PM

Along with the computer description that Wombat asked for, make sure you tell us what P4 you have, what overclock you have (if any), and what the Vcore is.
May 17, 2007 5:15:32 PM

Quote:
My PC is so hot. CPU temp always is greater than 70 C degree
My CPU + fan zin.
Please help me :wink:

Wow.., she's a toasy one!

I'll come over and we can roast marshmellows.... :wink: :p 
May 17, 2007 6:42:00 PM

Extra tips:

It might just need a new BIGGER All Copper Heat-Sink with BIG fan. Install more Case Fans (1- Intake room air from the front and 1- Exhaust heat out to the back). Maybe, your PC power supply might be coming to the end of it life? Good luck!
May 18, 2007 6:00:55 AM

Here is my description
CPU core 1.34V
CPU Fan 4014RPM
CPU 71C(160F)
My PC just normal PC
CPU Pentium D 2.8G
RAM 512M
HDD 80G
VGA Onboard
That's all
a b à CPUs
May 18, 2007 6:14:03 AM

Who built it? Sounds like a bad install on the heatsink/fan.
May 18, 2007 6:17:35 AM

Very poor ventillation can cause temperatures like you're seeing. I put my PD820 into a HTPC case before I got cooler components... The load temperature was in the high 60's and climbing before I killed the process loading the CPU. I had to underclock the CPU to around 2.4 GHz to keep load temps (100% load 24/7 operation) below 60C. This was with the stock cooler.

Now, in a better-ventillated case (TT Tsunami), with a much better CPU HSF (TT SonicTower w/ 120mm fan), my load temp stays around 40C. That's with a 3.36GHz OC.

If your temps are at 70C when you're not doing some serious stress-testing of the CPU, then there is definitely something wrong. The HSF must be seated improperly or the thermal paste is missing or not applied right.
May 18, 2007 8:11:26 AM

Quote:
Very poor ventillation can cause temperatures like you're seeing. I put my PD820 into a HTPC case before I got cooler components... The load temperature was in the high 60's and climbing before I killed the process loading the CPU. I had to underclock the CPU to around 2.4 GHz to keep load temps (100% load 24/7 operation) below 60C. This was with the stock cooler.

Now, in a better-ventillated case (TT Tsunami), with a much better CPU HSF (TT SonicTower w/ 120mm fan), my load temp stays around 40C. That's with a 3.36GHz OC.

If your temps are at 70C when you're not doing some serious stress-testing of the CPU, then there is definitely something wrong. The HSF must be seated improperly or the thermal paste is missing or not applied right.
We still don't really know which CPU it is. If it's an 820...it's kinda high...if it's a 915/920...somethings definetely not right. I mean, he isn't even using a discrete video card....that CPU should be peaking in the mid-high 50's..tops. :?
May 18, 2007 10:11:06 AM

hotmit17, do you know if your heatsink is loose? it might be it. are you overclocking too? if somebody else did it, does the person know what he is doing?

Quote:
Why is my 2900 xfire melting my case?

because your a well known idiot for flamming, what goes around, comes around
May 18, 2007 10:25:30 AM

Quote:
Here is my description
CPU core 1.34V
CPU Fan 4014RPM
CPU 71C(160F)
My PC just normal PC
CPU Pentium D 2.8G
RAM 512M
HDD 80G
VGA Onboard
That's all

Can you run CPU-Z?

That way you can share your spec for the cpu.

When you run the program:

1.) Click on the about tab
2.) Click on the validation button
3.) Click on the save validation file (anywhere, just remember where you saved it)
4.) After you save the file, on Step #2 click on validation webpage.
5.) Fill out the info, including the file you saved. You should get a link via email for you to post on the forumz.

That way the guys here know exactly what Pentium D your running.

As an example, this is what my old current system is with CPU-Z:

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=127595

edit: :oops:  though its not OC'd since I was having FSB fluctuations.
May 18, 2007 10:43:44 AM

If you're running a stock then that would be a "normal" temps in a case with low ventilation and warm room temperature. Try an aftermarket cpu cooler like the Artic Cooling Freezer 7.
May 18, 2007 11:13:32 AM

Quote:
hotmit17, do you know if your heatsink is loose? it might be it. are you overclocking too? if somebody else did it, does the person know what he is doing?

because your a well known idiot for flamming, what goes around, comes aroundWTF!! What kind of drugs are you on? Verndewd is no idiot, and he's far from a troll or flamer. :x :x
May 18, 2007 2:30:48 PM

Quote:

because your a well known idiot for flamming, what goes around, comes aroundWTF!! What kind of drugs are you on? Verndewd is no idiot, and he's far from a troll or flamer. :x :x

Yeah... I'm with 1Tanker on this one.
May 18, 2007 2:33:33 PM

actually, im referring to myself :)  no bloodloss intended
May 18, 2007 8:10:32 PM

Quote:
Here is my description
CPU core 1.34V
CPU Fan 4014RPM
CPU 71C(160F)
My PC just normal PC
CPU Pentium D 2.8G
RAM 512M
HDD 80G
VGA Onboard
That's all

hm, you need to give more details:
1) What model CPU fan are you using? An OEM Intel one that came with the CPU, or something different?
2) What model number CPU are you using?
3) What model number power supply are you using?
4) What model number case are you using? What size fans are in it, where are they located, and which direction are they blowing?
5) What is the temp of the area where the computer is located?
6) Is there enough clearance around the computer to allow good airflow in/out?
7) Have you cleaned out the inside with something like compressed air to clean out any masses of dust from the heat sinks/fans?
May 21, 2007 12:19:36 AM

Oh dear I had the same experience as you. I got an ecs mb plus the intel Pentium D 915. I found out the temp is horrible and my machine keeps hanging. Finally I bought a new CPU fan which is ASUS Silent Square 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler. The problem solved. Now my cpu temp is around 44C.
But the first thing u need to make sure you installed the fan tight enough.

HC
May 22, 2007 5:43:51 PM

Sorry i busy so can't reply everyone.
CPU Pentium D 2.8GH (820) and still not yet OC
how can i fix this problem ?
!