Sign in with
Your question

Installing ubuntu on raid0

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
April 2, 2011 9:22:25 PM

I am trying to install Ubuntu 10.10 desktop alongside windows 7 on my 2TB Nvidia Raid 0 HDD's but when i select where to install the OS on the ubuntu installation it sees through the raid and only shows the HDD's and no partitions. is there any way to install ubuntu without having to take off Raid?

Thanks in advance.
April 4, 2011 12:13:05 PM

There is, but using linux with fakeraid is not something I recommend to beginners.
Using the motherboard raid controller is not true hardware raid, and you'll need to configure md in the system to correctly see the drives, and I don't know how stable that will be partitioning alongside win7. See if you can google some howto's or forum posts to research this further.

April 4, 2011 6:08:48 PM

Ok. thank you for the reply. i have been doing some research but im stumped which is why i came here.
April 5, 2011 2:38:04 AM

You'll want information about MD (the command is actually lowercase). There are some howto's on tldp.org, but they may be dated material. Again, I don't think I would try on a system that already has a running win7 install on an existing array. Arrays get very finicky on how they are created and what you do with them from then on. <- consider yourself warned.
!