disk defragmentor in vista 64

mikekazik1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
Hi, I just got a new laptop with vista 64 on it. I really don't know if disk defragmenter is making any progress or not since I can't see the progress bar. I tried to defragment the disk before but it was taking forever. The hard drive that I have is a 250gb 5400rpm laptop hard drive (about half of it is full). Does it normally take a really long time? Or is something else long?

A full defrag does take a long time... Especially if you haven't run it in a while. When I run mine, I start it just before going to bed. You can try aftermarket products, such as Disckeeper. Good ones are both faster and do a better job. If the one you select has an option to 'Defragment System Files on Startup", you'll want to do that once in a while. It can make a difference in start up times.

mikekazik1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007

Really? I heard that third party products are worse (although faster). Do you know how many hours it takes to run the defrag (at least an estimate, based on the info I listed)?

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
It once took my pc about 8 full hours (longer actually) to defrag about 75 gigs on my 160 gig drive, the lack of a progress bar is a piss off, but i believe its specifically slow because they wanted it to be able to run in the background while you continiue working with your pc. It works, like a turtle...but it works -.-

I downloaded Diskkeeper free trial to untangle my son's WOW files the other day. I have Diskkeeper for Windows XP Home only and it worked well until I installed SP3 on all my XP machines. My son uses XP pro currently. Now there is an error pop up notice when I run it. Still works though. This download defragmented my son's gaming computer, the other would not. Vista 64 tested.

http://www.diskeeper.com/downloads/downloads-r.asp

mikekazik1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007

Thanks, I'll try it out. I really think that the defragmenter in xp was so much better. It was faster and you had a progress bar. With mac os x, you don't need to defrag...sigh... if only microsoft made better operating systems.

The defragmentor in XP is like everything else in XP, so simple Microsoft provides no instructions other than 'OK' and 'Exit'. The two most used words in an XP installation are 'OK' and 'Exit'. XP is a 'point and shoot' OS as far as any useful semi-complicated instructions or explanations being at your fingertips. The world is a 'point and shoot' bi-product of Windows XP. Like all the synthetic benchmarks. The trademark I am thinking of is 'Duh'.

mikekazik1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007

I agree, and xp was also less bloated. For its own sake, Microsoft better get it right with the next os. Leopard is already becoming popular with the non-enthusiasts.

I've never relied on the "stock" Windows defragger... they were always lacking, IMO. The version that was included in XP is actually a very lite version of Diskkeeper. I used the full version until one day it hosed my file system... then I switched to Raxco Perfectdisk and have been happy ever since.

If you defrag your drive at least once a week, you won't have to worry about it getting so fragmented that it takes hours to defrag. If you think NTFS is bad... you've obviously never had a lot of experience with FAT fragmentation.