Sign in with
Your question

Vista 64 bit doesnt read all 4 sticks

Last response: in Windows Vista
July 24, 2008 3:57:58 AM

I had vista running fine, reading all 4 sticks fine for a good 3 months, installed a new psu, still detected them fine, one day a month later i boot up and it just reads 3 gigs :S.

I tested the sticks, they all work, bios reads all 4 sticks, placing the sticks differently does not rectify the issue, neither does using 3 in random places, still reads just 3.0 gigs, i dont know what the crap the problem is since my windows whatever experience didnt go down anywhere. I have no instability issues what so ever, nothing heats up, havent played supreme commander so icant say if performance decreased by 0.5% or not

New psu is Thermaltake toughpower mod 850w if anyone wants to know, i think it happened when I lost power and got it back, but...bios reads all the sticks, i dont know what gives, but maybe you do :D 
July 24, 2008 1:34:05 PM

some modification on the timings of the ram might bring it back, i have seen that using 4 sticks can cause some problems on default timings
m
l
July 24, 2008 8:17:47 PM

I brought them from the fastest timings to the absolute slowest availible for all timings, no luck. Lowered voltages, hightened them, lowered to 667.
This is weird :S I thought you were absolutely right since I remember recently reseting my bios and only remembering to highten my ram voltage and not the timings, which I had previously left slower when trying to fix ghost restart issues a few months back
m
l
Related resources
July 25, 2008 9:18:02 AM

run a memtest to see if the ram has any errors in it, try only using 1 stick at a time for that to pin point which stick is giving you jip
m
l
August 2, 2008 2:38:27 AM

To specify my situation even further, it reads exactly 3.00 gigs, not 3.072

Performance in games hasn't decreased from what I can tell either, I ran diagnostics as well, according to vista, absolutely nothing is wrong o.0

I did have my first memory dump ever with vista yesterday while running the game GRID for the first time, but windows blamed my audio driver (issue hasn't reoccured since)
m
l
August 2, 2008 2:05:07 PM

Does the BIOS see all 4 GB of memory? Are you using Vista 32 or Vista 64?
m
l
August 2, 2008 2:22:40 PM

Check Memory remapping in the BIOS. Because if you have it disabled you will only see 3 Gig. Enable it when you have a 64Bit OS

1Haplo
m
l
August 2, 2008 8:21:28 PM

Sorry I forgot to mention im running 64 bit, and as previously stated, yes bios reads it all.

How exactly do I enable memory remapping, i havent seen any words resembling those in my entire bios
m
l
August 5, 2008 12:41:41 PM

I don't know what motherboard/bios you have - So all I can say is to read the manual that came with your mobo and find out...
m
l
!