Sign in with
Your question

Vista backup utiltiy won't start

Last response: in Windows Vista
July 24, 2008 7:24:34 PM

I have an OEM installation of Vista Home Premium from Dell on an XPS 720. I had to reinstall it a couple of times due to an Acronis issue.

The System Tool, Backup Status and Confiuration, doesn't ever start, I get an error code, with the message to check my configration, which I can't set. It doesn't matter if I go through Control Panel, or Programs. It won't start. I contacted Dell, and they were no help at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Garypender
July 25, 2008 10:27:27 AM

what is the error code? have you tried to repair the installation?
m
l
July 25, 2008 2:05:36 PM

Yes - I have tried repair.
It doesn't matter if I go to Control Panel, or to System Tools/ Backup Status and Configuration, or to a drive and select Tools, Backup now - I get the same error message:
Quote The backup application could not start due to an internal error:
Windows encountered an Internal error. Review your backup and restore settings (0x81000027)
Please check your system configuration and try again.

I have made sure Windows Backup is running in the Services Window. Same results.
I also used the sfc /scannow command that scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions. Nothing was "wrong" according to the results.

Help?
m
l
Related resources
September 11, 2008 3:37:47 PM

Gary,
How was error (0x81000027) fixed? I am having the same issue.
m
l
July 27, 2009 9:15:49 PM

bostin said:
Gary,
How was error (0x81000027) fixed? I am having the same issue.

0x81000027 and 0x81000025 errors in Windows Vista backup and restore centre report to the user

Windows encountered an Internal error. Review your backup and restore settings (0x81000027 or 25)
Please check your system configuration and try again

The Windows Vista backup requires that a shadow copy can be taken of the drive you are trying to backup (usually C:\). To verify that this process can run go to computer properties, click on Advanced System Settings. On the system properties window click the system protection tab. Tick local disk C: and click create. If the shadow copy fails this is most likely the reason that Windows backup is failing. Check for enough free disk space on C: to create a shadow copy. Check NTFS file permissions on the hidden 'System Volume Information' folder on the root of C:\ the system will need full control. Also if shadow copies have become corrupt then Vista backup won't run. In which case go back to computer properties and advanced system settings and if the C: drive is already ticked then untick and apply, then tick and apply again. If C: wasn't ticked then tick and apply then untick and apply. This will delete all previous shadow copies and Vista Backup will now be able to run.

Thanks

Tim Haycock
m
l
!