Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

LCD TV Buyers Beware...

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
December 29, 2004 1:04:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Do not buy from digitalgear on Ebay!

I bought a Sharp Aquos 32" (LC-32G4U) from them over the phone (not on
EBay directly) and the TV turned out to be defected. It's simply not
working and has a little dent on the right speaker. However, they
insist it is new and will not take it back until I talk to Sharp. Also,
I thought I bought a 5-year extended warranty but the owner (Mr.
Stevens) said it was a 4-year Platinum with 1-year manufacture warranty
that made it a 5-year.

Since I didn't buy it off Ebay (major mistake), I can't leave any
negative feedback on the site to warn people and have to do it here.
Take my advise and stay away from them.

-Linus

More about : lcd buyers beware

Anonymous
December 30, 2004 12:56:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Yes, if you bought a SEARS extended warranty or ULTIMATE extended warranty
(never heard of Ultimate myself). But if its a manufacturers warranty, the
manufacturer is the one who does the warranty. I imagine some big stores
might be nice enough to box up and ship a set back to the manufacturer for
warranty service, but that's just being nice and keeping a good reputation,
I highly doubt they are required to do so unless you specifically paid for
that service.

--Dan

"Mack McKinnon" <MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com> wrote in
message news:6IEAd.21594$wD4.17249@fe1.texas.rr.com...
> From what Sears told me and what I have heard from others who also bought
> their extended TV warranty, they do their own Sears service policy repairs
> from day one. When I was considering buying a TV from Ultimate and they
> explained their service policy to me, that was their deal, as well -- that
> their people would handle any and all problems from the beginning, if you
> had bought their service policy.
>
> mack
> austin
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 1:06:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Did you use a credit card to pay for it? That may open up some options for
you.

--Dan

<linus@technologist.com> wrote in message
news:1104343479.201483.186210@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Do not buy from digitalgear on Ebay!
>
> I bought a Sharp Aquos 32" (LC-32G4U) from them over the phone (not on
> EBay directly) and the TV turned out to be defected. It's simply not
> working and has a little dent on the right speaker. However, they
> insist it is new and will not take it back until I talk to Sharp. Also,
> I thought I bought a 5-year extended warranty but the owner (Mr.
> Stevens) said it was a 4-year Platinum with 1-year manufacture warranty
> that made it a 5-year.
>
> Since I didn't buy it off Ebay (major mistake), I can't leave any
> negative feedback on the site to warn people and have to do it here.
> Take my advise and stay away from them.
>
> -Linus
>
Related resources
December 30, 2004 1:06:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Linus,

No disrespect intended, but did you try re-seating the power cables and check
if the electrical outlet is hot? Sometimes it's these little things that are
overlooked.

Why would buying it on eBay have helped, aside from letting you vent with
negative feedback?

George

>
>
> <linus@technologist.com> wrote in message
> news:1104343479.201483.186210@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> > Do not buy from digitalgear on Ebay!
> >
> > I bought a Sharp Aquos 32" (LC-32G4U) from them over the phone (not on
> > EBay directly) and the TV turned out to be defected. It's simply not
> > working and has a little dent on the right speaker. However, they
> > insist it is new and will not take it back until I talk to Sharp. Also,
> > I thought I bought a 5-year extended warranty but the owner (Mr.
> > Stevens) said it was a 4-year Platinum with 1-year manufacture warranty
> > that made it a 5-year.
> >
> > Since I didn't buy it off Ebay (major mistake), I can't leave any
> > negative feedback on the site to warn people and have to do it here.
> > Take my advise and stay away from them.
> >
> > -Linus
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 1:50:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 22:03:39 GMT, Thumper <jaylsmithXYZ@comcast.net>
wrote:

>>From what Sears told me and what I have heard from others who also bought
>>their extended TV warranty, they do their own Sears service policy repairs
>>from day one. When I was considering buying a TV from Ultimate and they
>>explained their service policy to me, that was their deal, as well -- that
>>their people would handle any and all problems from the beginning, if you
>>had bought their service policy.
>>
CC doesn't have any employees who are techs. Sears is the only major
retailer who does. Don't get me wrong, CC will take care of their
extended warranty customers too (from my own experience) but it won't
actually be a CC employee twisting the screwdriver as it is with
Sears. It would be a local contractor doing the work.
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 6:05:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On 29 Dec 2004 10:04:39 -0800, linus@technologist.com wrote:

>Do not buy from digitalgear on Ebay!
>
>I bought a Sharp Aquos 32" (LC-32G4U) from them over the phone (not on
>EBay directly) and the TV turned out to be defected. It's simply not
>working and has a little dent on the right speaker. However, they
>insist it is new and will not take it back until I talk to Sharp. Also,
>I thought I bought a 5-year extended warranty but the owner (Mr.
>Stevens) said it was a 4-year Platinum with 1-year manufacture warranty
>that made it a 5-year.
>
>Since I didn't buy it off Ebay (major mistake), I can't leave any
>negative feedback on the site to warn people and have to do it here.
>Take my advise and stay away from them.
>
>-Linus

I haven't used Ebay for a year or so, but as I recall you should still
be able to leave feedback for anyone at any time. You won't be able to
reference an Ebay item number but I think you can still leave your
comments.

mort
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 7:08:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"HDTV-slingr" <NOSPAMMERS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:r427t0te1qftsb91rrgk629vguvj4kln6q@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 22:03:39 GMT, Thumper <jaylsmithXYZ@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> >>From what Sears told me and what I have heard from others who also
bought
> >>their extended TV warranty, they do their own Sears service policy
repairs
> >>from day one. When I was considering buying a TV from Ultimate and they
> >>explained their service policy to me, that was their deal, as well --
that
> >>their people would handle any and all problems from the beginning, if
you
> >>had bought their service policy.
> >>
> CC doesn't have any employees who are techs. Sears is the only major
> retailer who does. Don't get me wrong, CC will take care of their
> extended warranty customers too (from my own experience) but it won't
> actually be a CC employee twisting the screwdriver as it is with
> Sears. It would be a local contractor doing the work.

You have previously made the statement that Sears is the only major seller
with employees sevicing electronics and have previously been corrected.
Here you say it again and are wrong again. You may be proud to work at
Sears, as I am proud to work for a retailer that services what he sells, but
you are not justified in repeating things that are just not true. Both
Circuit City and Best Buy have service centers that employ technicians
servicing electronics. I know this because I have met them in training
sessions with major manufacturers. I also know techs who have been
recruited by them. You can verify this by going to the Circuit City web
site and applying for a job as a tech.

You assume that because Sears has its own techs that this means better
service. In fact, service quality varies greatly depending on many factors,
and in some areas Sears service really stinks. I go behind Sears techs who
charge $96 for a service call and only complete the easy repairs quite
frequently. I have also gone behind them to fix sets that were butchered by
there attempts. When customers complain to them they typically have not had
a satisfactory response, IME. Some of their techs are great ( I hired one a
few years ago). Many are lousy, just like anywhere else. Sears has the
same problem that everyone else does. Hiring good techs is nearly
impossible, since there are few being educated to service consumer
electronics, little useful manufacturer training exists compared to years
ago, much service documentation is lousy and limited, and the complexity of
many repairs has increased enormously.

The best service varies with location. The best way to find it is to get to
know the local independent servicers and dealers and ask them. It will
often be dependent on the product as well. For instance, locally there is
an independent who has serviced Magnavox and Philips for years. There is
another who has extensive experience with Thomson (RCA) and Zenith. Another
does Samsung. None has a tech as experienced nor as good as we do, but we
refer these brands to them all the time because they have familiarity with
them. They do the same with a lot of Mitsubishi, Sony, and Hitachi. The
Zenith servicer has sent me Zenith products that used Hitachi built chassis
because they are less familiar with them.

Sears service is hit or miss, just like what you get from the others
mentioned, and it is expensive. Don't mislead people. They may have MORE
locally available service centers rather than regional ones, but they are
not the only store that has service techs.

Leonard
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 7:50:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Thumper" <jaylsmithXYZ@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:k8a6t05t8n20itlo5appmpkite65pkb081@4ax.com...
> Same with Circuit City.
> Thumper

Costco is also really cool about returns. I ordered a 19" LCD monitor from
their website back when they were $699, so I was expecting perfection. It
was a model not sold in my local store, only on the web. I unpacked it and
set it up and saw it had 1 bright green pixel in the center portion of the
screen. I walked into the local costco and returned it for credit, and
ordered the same thing again on the website using the gift card they gave me
as credit.

As you guys probably know, the manufacturer won't take an LCD monitor in for
return unless it has (correct me if I am wrong) 5 dead pixels! Industry
standard.

I guess that's a pretty good reason to shop at big stores.

--Dan
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 7:50:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:jOLAd.3939$wZ2.370@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
> "Thumper" <jaylsmithXYZ@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:k8a6t05t8n20itlo5appmpkite65pkb081@4ax.com...
> > Same with Circuit City.
> > Thumper
>
> Costco is also really cool about returns. I ordered a 19" LCD monitor
from
> their website back when they were $699, so I was expecting perfection. It
> was a model not sold in my local store, only on the web. I unpacked it
and
> set it up and saw it had 1 bright green pixel in the center portion of the
> screen. I walked into the local costco and returned it for credit, and
> ordered the same thing again on the website using the gift card they gave
me
> as credit.
>
> As you guys probably know, the manufacturer won't take an LCD monitor in
for
> return unless it has (correct me if I am wrong) 5 dead pixels! Industry
> standard.
>
> I guess that's a pretty good reason to shop at big stores.

Policies vary by manufacturer and by the location of the pixels. There is
no industry standard for returns of sets with stuck or dead pixels, just as
there is no standard for returns of CRTs with phosphor defects.

Leonard
December 30, 2004 1:13:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Thanks for everyone's feedback here but I think I didn't have my point
across. The point is that I think DigitalGear wasn't honest about this
item and it was not brand new. There are a few things that lead to my
speculation:

1. The package came in as 2 boxes - 1 for the TV, 1 for the AVC unit.
The box for the AVC unit had a ripped off label on it that looked like
it was returned by someone.
2. Right out of the box, the TV speakers were already connected and
attached to the TV. I don't know if this is what a new TV supposed to
be like but the manual has instuctions on how to connect those speakers
from scratch.
3. Although there are damages to the TV box (BTW, I'm filing my
insurance claim to UPS as well), they don't look like anything that
could cause the dent on the right speaker; i.e., the locations of
damages on the box do not match the location of the dent.

That's why I think the seller was dishonest about this item and I plan
to take them to court for my loss.

-Linus

Rob wrote:
> and it has a dent........ the factory warranty isn't going to help
with
> that. in fact
> the mfg may just say it's been abused and wont cover it... see? look
at
> that dent!
>
> "RicSeyler" <ricseyler@SPAMgulf.net> wrote in message
> news:byGAd.554$Tt6.413@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
> But if he unpacked it and it didn't work from the get go
> the seller will probably be required by law to take it back.
> But if the poster used it for, say a week, then he's probably
> on his own with the manufacturer.
December 30, 2004 1:15:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Thanks for everyone's feedback here but I think I didn't have my point
across. The point is that I think DigitalGear wasn't honest about this
item and it was not brand new. There are a few things that lead to my
speculation:

1. The package came in as 2 boxes - 1 for the TV, 1 for the AVC unit.
The box for the AVC unit had a ripped off label on it that looked like
it was returned by someone.
2. Right out of the box, the TV speakers were already connected and
attached to the TV. I don't know if this is what a new TV supposed to
be like but the manual has instuctions on how to connect those speakers
from scratch.
3. Although there are damages to the TV box (BTW, I'm filing my
insurance claim to UPS as well), they don't look like anything that
could cause the dent on the right speaker; i.e., the locations of
damages on the box do not match the location of the dent.

That's why I think the seller was dishonest about this item and I plan
to take them to court for my loss.

-Linus

Rob wrote:
> and it has a dent........ the factory warranty isn't going to help
with
> that. in fact
> the mfg may just say it's been abused and wont cover it... see? look
at
> that dent!
>
> "RicSeyler" <ricseyler@SPAMgulf.net> wrote in message
> news:byGAd.554$Tt6.413@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
> But if he unpacked it and it didn't work from the get go
> the seller will probably be required by law to take it back.
> But if the poster used it for, say a week, then he's probably
> on his own with the manufacturer.
December 30, 2004 3:09:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 22:50:21 -0600, HDTV-slingr
<NOSPAMMERS@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 22:03:39 GMT, Thumper <jaylsmithXYZ@comcast.net>
>wrote:
>
>>>From what Sears told me and what I have heard from others who also bought
>>>their extended TV warranty, they do their own Sears service policy repairs
>>>from day one. When I was considering buying a TV from Ultimate and they
>>>explained their service policy to me, that was their deal, as well -- that
>>>their people would handle any and all problems from the beginning, if you
>>>had bought their service policy.
>>>
>CC doesn't have any employees who are techs. Sears is the only major
>retailer who does. Don't get me wrong, CC will take care of their
>extended warranty customers too (from my own experience) but it won't
>actually be a CC employee twisting the screwdriver as it is with
>Sears. It would be a local contractor doing the work.

I didn't mean to imply that they did the work themselves, only that
you call them to get warranty work done even during the manufacturer's
warrantee period. I like it that way.
Thumper
To reply drop XYZ in address
December 30, 2004 3:10:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 04:08:37 -0500, "Leonard Caillouet" <no@no.com>
wrote:

>
>"HDTV-slingr" <NOSPAMMERS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:r427t0te1qftsb91rrgk629vguvj4kln6q@4ax.com...
>> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 22:03:39 GMT, Thumper <jaylsmithXYZ@comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >>From what Sears told me and what I have heard from others who also
>bought
>> >>their extended TV warranty, they do their own Sears service policy
>repairs
>> >>from day one. When I was considering buying a TV from Ultimate and they
>> >>explained their service policy to me, that was their deal, as well --
>that
>> >>their people would handle any and all problems from the beginning, if
>you
>> >>had bought their service policy.
>> >>
>> CC doesn't have any employees who are techs. Sears is the only major
>> retailer who does. Don't get me wrong, CC will take care of their
>> extended warranty customers too (from my own experience) but it won't
>> actually be a CC employee twisting the screwdriver as it is with
>> Sears. It would be a local contractor doing the work.
>
>You have previously made the statement that Sears is the only major seller
>with employees sevicing electronics and have previously been corrected.
>Here you say it again and are wrong again. You may be proud to work at
>Sears, as I am proud to work for a retailer that services what he sells, but
>you are not justified in repeating things that are just not true. Both
>Circuit City and Best Buy have service centers that employ technicians
>servicing electronics. I know this because I have met them in training
>sessions with major manufacturers. I also know techs who have been
>recruited by them. You can verify this by going to the Circuit City web
>site and applying for a job as a tech.
>
>You assume that because Sears has its own techs that this means better
>service. In fact, service quality varies greatly depending on many factors,
>and in some areas Sears service really stinks. I go behind Sears techs who
>charge $96 for a service call and only complete the easy repairs quite
>frequently. I have also gone behind them to fix sets that were butchered by
>there attempts. When customers complain to them they typically have not had
>a satisfactory response, IME. Some of their techs are great ( I hired one a
>few years ago). Many are lousy, just like anywhere else. Sears has the
>same problem that everyone else does. Hiring good techs is nearly
>impossible, since there are few being educated to service consumer
>electronics, little useful manufacturer training exists compared to years
>ago, much service documentation is lousy and limited, and the complexity of
>many repairs has increased enormously.
>
>The best service varies with location. The best way to find it is to get to
>know the local independent servicers and dealers and ask them. It will
>often be dependent on the product as well. For instance, locally there is
>an independent who has serviced Magnavox and Philips for years. There is
>another who has extensive experience with Thomson (RCA) and Zenith. Another
>does Samsung. None has a tech as experienced nor as good as we do, but we
>refer these brands to them all the time because they have familiarity with
>them. They do the same with a lot of Mitsubishi, Sony, and Hitachi. The
>Zenith servicer has sent me Zenith products that used Hitachi built chassis
>because they are less familiar with them.
>
>Sears service is hit or miss, just like what you get from the others
>mentioned, and it is expensive. Don't mislead people. They may have MORE
>locally available service centers rather than regional ones, but they are
>not the only store that has service techs.
>
>Leonard
>
Circuit City farmed out the service on my Hitachi.
Thumper
To reply drop XYZ in address
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 3:10:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Thumper" <jaylsmithXYZ@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:gsr7t0dj89m39bubtfvgr9frvsr7903e29@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 04:08:37 -0500, "Leonard Caillouet" <no@no.com>
> wrote:
>
> >
> >"HDTV-slingr" <NOSPAMMERS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >news:r427t0te1qftsb91rrgk629vguvj4kln6q@4ax.com...
> >> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 22:03:39 GMT, Thumper <jaylsmithXYZ@comcast.net>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >> >>From what Sears told me and what I have heard from others who also
> >bought
> >> >>their extended TV warranty, they do their own Sears service policy
> >repairs
> >> >>from day one. When I was considering buying a TV from Ultimate and
they
> >> >>explained their service policy to me, that was their deal, as well --
> >that
> >> >>their people would handle any and all problems from the beginning, if
> >you
> >> >>had bought their service policy.
> >> >>
> >> CC doesn't have any employees who are techs. Sears is the only major
> >> retailer who does. Don't get me wrong, CC will take care of their
> >> extended warranty customers too (from my own experience) but it won't
> >> actually be a CC employee twisting the screwdriver as it is with
> >> Sears. It would be a local contractor doing the work.
> >
> >You have previously made the statement that Sears is the only major
seller
> >with employees sevicing electronics and have previously been corrected.
> >Here you say it again and are wrong again. You may be proud to work at
> >Sears, as I am proud to work for a retailer that services what he sells,
but
> >you are not justified in repeating things that are just not true. Both
> >Circuit City and Best Buy have service centers that employ technicians
> >servicing electronics. I know this because I have met them in training
> >sessions with major manufacturers. I also know techs who have been
> >recruited by them. You can verify this by going to the Circuit City web
> >site and applying for a job as a tech.
> >
> >You assume that because Sears has its own techs that this means better
> >service. In fact, service quality varies greatly depending on many
factors,
> >and in some areas Sears service really stinks. I go behind Sears techs
who
> >charge $96 for a service call and only complete the easy repairs quite
> >frequently. I have also gone behind them to fix sets that were butchered
by
> >there attempts. When customers complain to them they typically have not
had
> >a satisfactory response, IME. Some of their techs are great ( I hired
one a
> >few years ago). Many are lousy, just like anywhere else. Sears has the
> >same problem that everyone else does. Hiring good techs is nearly
> >impossible, since there are few being educated to service consumer
> >electronics, little useful manufacturer training exists compared to years
> >ago, much service documentation is lousy and limited, and the complexity
of
> >many repairs has increased enormously.
> >
> >The best service varies with location. The best way to find it is to get
to
> >know the local independent servicers and dealers and ask them. It will
> >often be dependent on the product as well. For instance, locally there
is
> >an independent who has serviced Magnavox and Philips for years. There is
> >another who has extensive experience with Thomson (RCA) and Zenith.
Another
> >does Samsung. None has a tech as experienced nor as good as we do, but
we
> >refer these brands to them all the time because they have familiarity
with
> >them. They do the same with a lot of Mitsubishi, Sony, and Hitachi. The
> >Zenith servicer has sent me Zenith products that used Hitachi built
chassis
> >because they are less familiar with them.
> >
> >Sears service is hit or miss, just like what you get from the others
> >mentioned, and it is expensive. Don't mislead people. They may have
MORE
> >locally available service centers rather than regional ones, but they are
> >not the only store that has service techs.
> >
> >Leonard
> >
> Circuit City farmed out the service on my Hitachi.
> Thumper
> To reply drop XYZ in address

I did not say that they do all of their own work. They do it both ways.
They have regional service centers for carry-in items and in-home service
for customers near their centers and they also use the local independents
and manufacturer service centers. I am not saying that any of them can
assure GOOD service, either. Like I said, it varies by location and
product. The best way to get effective service is to know the people who do
the work.

Leonard
December 30, 2004 6:10:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

and it has a dent........ the factory warranty isn't going to help with
that. in fact
the mfg may just say it's been abused and wont cover it... see? look at
that dent!

"RicSeyler" <ricseyler@SPAMgulf.net> wrote in message
news:byGAd.554$Tt6.413@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
But if he unpacked it and it didn't work from the get go
the seller will probably be required by law to take it back.
But if the poster used it for, say a week, then he's probably
on his own with the manufacturer.
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 6:10:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Dunno....If I got a new item packed in the factory box and it was dented
I'd be hollering at the factory immediately... and demanding my money back.
And I bet it's required by law for them to refund. And if the box is damaged
from the outside I'd be hollering at the shipper.

I just don't think your required to keep anything that isn't up to snuff
on delivery,
regardless.


Rob wrote:

>and it has a dent........ the factory warranty isn't going to help with
>that. in fact
>the mfg may just say it's been abused and wont cover it... see? look at
>that dent!
>
>"RicSeyler" <ricseyler@SPAMgulf.net> wrote in message
>news:byGAd.554$Tt6.413@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
>But if he unpacked it and it didn't work from the get go
>the seller will probably be required by law to take it back.
>But if the poster used it for, say a week, then he's probably
>on his own with the manufacturer.
>
>
>
>

--
Ric Seyler

--------------------------------------
"Homer no function beer well without."
- H.J. Simpson
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 8:46:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

True, all manufacturers have specific standards, though when you call any of
the manufacturers about bad pixels they rattle on about "industry standard".
Here is an interesting link about dead pixels:

http://www.screentekinc.com/lcd-quality-standards.shtml



"Leonard Caillouet" <no@no.com> wrote in message
news:f4PAd.15307$jn.6224@lakeread06...
> Policies vary by manufacturer and by the location of the pixels. There is
> no industry standard for returns of sets with stuck or dead pixels, just
as
> there is no standard for returns of CRTs with phosphor defects.
>
> Leonard
>
>
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 8:46:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:t9XAd.4713$5R.79@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
> True, all manufacturers have specific standards, though when you call any
of
> the manufacturers about bad pixels they rattle on about "industry
standard".
> Here is an interesting link about dead pixels:
>
> http://www.screentekinc.com/lcd-quality-standards.shtml

Good link. Keep in mind that this is for computer LCD screens. The
consumer video manufacturers vary in their response to this problem greatly.
Even with the same manufacturer, policies seem to vary with who is
complaining and how they complain.

Leonard
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 11:50:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Leonard Caillouet" <nospam@noway.com> wrote in message
news:iaYAd.1562$7N4.954@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
> Even with the same manufacturer, policies seem to vary with who is
> complaining and how they complain.

Yep. Reminds me of talking my way out of a ticket "Officer, I had my head
up my ass, I don't know what I was thinking", "well, ok then, slow down a
bit and have a nice day".

Being real nice can go a long way.

--Dan
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 10:48:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

In the fine prints of a manual and/or warranty conditions the erroneous
pixel number is not defined. Instead the manufacturers disclaim any pixel
error. Things seemingly depend on the good or bad will of the warranty
serviceman, lol.

"dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:jOLAd.3939$wZ2.370@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
> "Thumper" <jaylsmithXYZ@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:k8a6t05t8n20itlo5appmpkite65pkb081@4ax.com...
>> Same with Circuit City.
>> Thumper
>
> Costco is also really cool about returns. I ordered a 19" LCD monitor
> from
> their website back when they were $699, so I was expecting perfection. It
> was a model not sold in my local store, only on the web. I unpacked it
> and
> set it up and saw it had 1 bright green pixel in the center portion of the
> screen. I walked into the local costco and returned it for credit, and
> ordered the same thing again on the website using the gift card they gave
> me
> as credit.
>
> As you guys probably know, the manufacturer won't take an LCD monitor in
> for
> return unless it has (correct me if I am wrong) 5 dead pixels! Industry
> standard.
>
> I guess that's a pretty good reason to shop at big stores.
>
> --Dan
>
>
>
!