Windows XP Misnames A and B Drives

Dear Members,
After upgrading from Windows 98SE to Windows XP Professional I found that
the A and B drive letters where reversed when compared to the existing BIOS
designation. On Windows 98SE I had a 3.5inch floppy drive as the A and a
LS120 Superdisk drive as the B (secondary IDE). These drive letters are now
reversed on XP. In Windows Explorer both drives are recognized and work:
selecting the 3.5inch floppy drive activates the LS120 and vice versa. In
Control Panel - System Properties - Floppy Disk Drives, both devices are
reported as "This device is working properly". In Administrative Tools -
Computer Management - Disk Management, the A and B drives are not recognized
(not shown) but the C and D(CD/DVD ROM) drives are.

The second problem is that the keyboard key mapping is incorrect on some
keys. You don't get what you expect when you type symbols, though the
letters are correct.

I've trawled the Internet for answers, but without success; would someone
provide solutions for these faults please.

Kind Regards,

--
Clive Libotte. IEng. MInstMC
Instrument & Control Engineer

On Wed, 18 May 2005 10:11:57 +0800, Clive Libotte wrote:

> The second problem is that the keyboard key mapping is incorrect on some
> keys. You don't get what you expect when you type symbols, though the
> letters are correct.

Check Regional and Language Options in Control Panel.

The first page, Regional Options, is a global language setting. Normally,
you want the same language listed on the Advanced page as well.

Next, dig a little deeper by going to the Languages page. Clickthe Details
button, then Settings. Default input language listed at very top. Also
check preferred language for keyboard on same page and under installed
services.

It sounds like you have English US and English (UK or other) intermixed.
This will cause some of the symbol keys to show up different than one would
expect.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

You did not put your real phone numbers, address and email addy in your
post, did you??

okay, click on the first link to see if that's why your drive letters have
changed.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326683

still checking on the keyboard thing...

"Clive Libotte" <clibotte@smartchat.net.au> wrote in message
> Dear Members,
> After upgrading from Windows 98SE to Windows XP Professional I found that
> the A and B drive letters where reversed when compared to the existing
> BIOS
> designation. On Windows 98SE I had a 3.5inch floppy drive as the A and a
> LS120 Superdisk drive as the B (secondary IDE). These drive letters are
> now
> reversed on XP. In Windows Explorer both drives are recognized and work:
> selecting the 3.5inch floppy drive activates the LS120 and vice versa. In
> Control Panel - System Properties - Floppy Disk Drives, both devices are
> reported as "This device is working properly". In Administrative Tools -
> Computer Management - Disk Management, the A and B drives are not
> recognized
> (not shown) but the C and D(CD/DVD ROM) drives are.
>
> The second problem is that the keyboard key mapping is incorrect on some
> keys. You don't get what you expect when you type symbols, though the
> letters are correct.
>
> I've trawled the Internet for answers, but without success; would someone
> provide solutions for these faults please.
>

> Kind Regards,
>
> --
> Clive Libotte. IEng. MInstMC
> Instrument & Control Engineer
> 24 Wentworth Way
> Padbury
> Western Australia 6025
> Telephone +61 8 9403 0129 (Home)
> Mobile + 042 292 9583
> E-mail clibotte@smartchat.net.au

Howdy Clive,
I'd uninstall the LS120 drive in device manager, unplug the cable after
the computer shuts down, re-boot and let Winders re-assign the drive
letters. (check the bios and disable also)
What do you use your LS120 for? I really liked mine, the faster speeds,
more capacity, etc, but not being backward compatable (the disk) with a
standard floppy drive, has all but sent this drive to the land of the
dodo.
Now it looks like the floppy drive is next on the endangered species
list!
(newer mobos can boot to USB, so you can use a USB flash key)
Where will it all end! :D I have a bunch of 100mb. Zip disks and I
can't figure out what to do with them, the drives are part of history
also.
Evolution I guess.
Best of luck,
Treeman