DS4 and Freezer 7 Pro fitment problems.

flyingmachine

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Just a FYI, I put my new system together last night (still waiting for video card), but the Freezer 7 Pro will not fit unless the bottom 4 fins are modified. They will push against the big'o copper heatsink next to the cpu socket.

Crapola

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
Wow, thanks for the info, I'm about to build myself... Got the freezer pro 7 and was about to get that mobo..., I guess I have to think about others....

8O

jerryg

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
How has the system responded with the modifies fins on Freezer 7 Pro? I just purchased a DQ6 and can't find anything that fits.

chef

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Hi,

First of all, I Love the Freezer 7 Pro. I have installed it on three systems (one AMD). For that prize, there is no reason not to.

One system was based around a GA-P35-DS4 (normal mounting, blowing backwards). It took a little bit of filing on the plastic fan holder. No big deal.

(otoh, I compare that to cramming a Thermalright IFX-14 into a Antec p182 on a dq6 without removing the mb back heatsink. That was ...interesting?)

chef

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
jerryg: You know you can remove the heatsink on the back? I imagine you could mount any large thermalright using only the hollow screws (no backplate). You would have to offload the weight somehow tho.