BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
XbitLabs is reporting that our favorite underdog has decided to release an Agena FX for single socket systems.

This is smart as it allows them to market FASN8 with the lower clocked SKUs and recommend the higher clocks for single threaded perf increases.

After all, we all know what happens when you try to put 2 125W chips into a box with XFire or SLI.

Linkage!

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
But what about platformance? :lol:

With the upcoming Barcelona, Intel would have a hard time matching power on a quad socket system if the systems could be gotten into commonplace workstation systems. Would really like to have a sixteen core system. If I could afford it, with Barcelona, I'd do it.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
But what about platformance? :lol:

With the upcoming Barcelona, Intel would have a hard time matching power on a quad socket system if the systems could be gotten into commonplace workstation systems. Would really like to have a sixteen core system. If I could afford it, with Barcelona, I'd do it.

Sure I'd love it but no on eis gong to createan infrastructure like that that woul dbe affordable, even for an enthusiast.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
But what about platformance?

C'mon, the only people who need platformance are megatasking Dev's.

Although, I must admit, I do envy Baron's job. (Seriously, he works for a place that sounds cool to work for)

I love to write code. I usually have so much crap open that I need lots of RAM and CPU power. I would have bought FX62 or QFX if Vista and it's drivers were in better shape.

I am actually on a cushy assignment right now where I support a few applications. That means I mostly sit at my desk making up things to do.

And I get paid the same as if I were writing the next great web application.

I guess that is pretty cool.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Kinda old news, but it is interesting. Not really that hard for AMD to pull off manufacturing-wise, so why the hell not? They'll sell the AM2 FX's to the people who only have the budget for a single-socket system, and then hold the 4x4 over the heads of enthusiasts as the best money could buy.

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
But what about platformance?

C'mon, the only people who need platformance are megatasking Dev's.

Although, I must admit, I do envy Baron's job. (Seriously, he works for a place that sounds cool to work for)

I love to write code. I usually have so much crap open that I need lots of RAM and CPU power. I would have bought FX62 or QFX if Vista and it's drivers were in better shape.

I am actually on a cushy assignment right now where I support a few applications. That means I mostly sit at my desk making up things to do.

And I get paid the same as if I were writing the next great web application.

I guess that is pretty cool.

So you're like me then.

5 instances of my IDE open. Few debuggers, 2x folding at home, loads of internet, msn, irc, music, word, excel, vmware and maybe a game if I think that little intel git isn't working hard enough ;)

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Sounds interesting, but kinda outdated/false, because the current sources are saying k10 will be 2.5ghz-2.9ghz even on the quads, so I'm expecting a higher clocked cpu than 2.2ghz on a phenom fx am2 quad, but if it's cheap (relatively speaking) I might pick up one for my current am2 system, I personally want to see how much of a difference ht3 makes anyways :)

Speaking of which, do you plan to get a fsn8 or whatever baron, or a single quad?

I hope they do get 2.9 quads out. I think if they do that, they will get the crown back for sure.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Sounds interesting, but kinda outdated/false, because the current sources are saying k10 will be 2.5ghz-2.9ghz even on the quads, so I'm expecting a higher clocked cpu than 2.2ghz on a phenom fx am2 quad, but if it's cheap (relatively speaking) I might pick up one for my current am2 system, I personally want to see how much of a difference ht3 makes anyways :)

Speaking of which, do you plan to get a fsn8 or whatever baron, or a single quad?

It depends. I will only get FASN8 if they have lower clocked chips. I mean 8 cores can run much more efficiently at 2.1GHz than 4 cores at 2.9GHz.

I'll know when they release, I guess.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
If they sell a say $300 2.1ghz fx quad with unlocked mults, then as I already said I'll definitely be considering an am2+ one for myself, but that seems unlikely that they would do that (but they need to compete with the $266 q6600, so anything's possible)

I would think that the single chips would be clocked higher but I agree that I would want a lower clocked chip as that 125W thing is kind of scary.

If I do decide on FASN8 I will definitely get two of the lowest clocked models. 8 cores at 2.1GHz sounds serious.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Hmm, I suppose I could always sell my current am2 setup to a n00b (know billions of them) and pickup a 4gb dual channel kit for $200 (scary how fast prices are dropping on ram) and a socket f+ (g) with an actual barcelona chip to go with it. Ocing won't be great on server boards (and risky since I'd have to use something like ntune or another crappy in windows program), but I could manage

But that's getting into way more than what I plan for, so what I really want to see is a low clocked chip with either unlocked mults, or at least be cheap without features disabled

I don't think you will need to OC K10. I was actually thinking about getting two low speed Opterons for QFX, but I think I want AM2+ or 1207+ when I upgrade.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I still would want to oc to test out the chip (marchitecture in general) and see how much of a performance increase I can get. I want to see what amd can really offer by maximising the performance of it (going to build a phase change over the summer anyways)

and for your viewing entertainment
http://media.dellone2one.com/dell/October2006/Dell_Cartoon.wmv
8O

That's understandable. I personally may raise my HT some but not much. I do plan on going 100% water though cause I get sick so of these loud ass fans.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I think the biggest advantage of AM2+ will be the support for split power planes and dual RAM channels (two 64bit channels vs. 1 128bit channel).

It will be interesting to see what happens with the R650 and even the RV6xx.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Interesting, I know the ram is directly in the cpu since it's integrated, but I suppose I'll need an am2+ board for the power planes

That's why I'm going to wait. I'm not as gung-ho about upgrades anymore. Those boards will also have PCIe 5GHz and DisplayPort, which recently got VESA approval. (Tom's) Anand reports that Dell is releasing Display Port LCDs later this year. Coincidence?