Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit Crashes

pyronumba1

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
Hey, I have just recently built a computer with the nvidia 680i sli motherboard, q6600 2.4ghz processor, and it is a liquid cooling system with a 8500 geforce video card loaded with Windows Vista 64bit. I am using the PC6400 DDR2 OCZ SLI-Ready 2gb x 4 sticks

I have installed Windows Vista 64bit with 2gb of ram (1stick) and everytime I sign into windows, after a minute or two, it will just freeze and the only thing i can do it is use the power button to turn it off. I am new to this but am wondering what is the problem and how to get the rest of the ram to work with a total of 8gb running.

Please if anyone has the same problem or know the solution as to what I can do, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I have installed Windows Vista 64bit with 2gb of ram (1stick) and everytime I sign into windows, after a minute or two, it will just freeze and the only thing i can do it is use the power button to turn it off.

To clarify, 1 stick or all 4 when the system crashes?

Assuming 1 stick for the moment - be sure it is set to mfg spec voltage in the BIOS. If you need more help on finding this setting let us know. It will be in BIOS setup somewhere, but it's a little different with different BIOS/MPBOs.

Get 1 stick stable then add the extra ram later.

That chipset (nvidia 680i) IIRC sometimes needs a small voltage increase on the Northbridge.

Freezing shortly after booting can also be a heat problem - did you get all the air out of your lines? Have you checked your temps?

pyronumba1

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
I am using one 2GB stick just to install vista and run. I have not yet put the others in until this problem is fully resolved.

How do I know if my mb is in mfg spec voltage and if so, how do i change the voltage. Sorry, I am a newbie at this but at the same time kind of know what im doing.

How may i increase the voltage?

Well since im running a liquid cooling system, everything looks fine and the water is running thorougly.

Where do i go from here.?

Thanks again.

It appears your RAM voltage should be set to 2.1 from the little I could find on it. Most MOBO's default to 1.8.

I realize this is an Nvidia chipset but who mfg the MOBO? Is this an Asus Striker Extreme by any chance?

The exact voltage should be printed on the ram packaging or on the sticks themselves - I just read 2.1 on a forum post that had your RAM being discussed - I couldn't get the official word

did going to 2.0 help at all?

pyronumba1

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
2.0 didnt change anything, it'll jus freeze 2minutes right after the desktop loaded and now i changed it to 2.1. i refreshed my windows experience score and same thing again, it crashed so i had to boot it again.

what other symptoms could that be? or solutions.

All I can suggest is that you double check your temps. A system crash shortly after booting windows often indicates an overheating problem. Be sure the water block is secure against the CPU and that there is no air in the system. There are usually instructions about bleeding out the air before you run the system.

Someone above suggested running memtest and this is a good way of determining system stability by taking the OS and drivers out of the picture.

You might also try bumping up the northbridge voltage a tad as this has helped many people get that chipset stable.

pyronumba1

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
will do, thanks so much for ur help. ill let u kno the status once more and if nothing helps, i will most likely jus send the mobo back but its gonna be a lot of time taking things out and the waterblock. =/