Install Vista 64-bit with SATA (Gigabyte MoBO)

ralphgrant

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
Hi friends! Searched the board and found some threads related to the problem. However, could not work out the problem...

For the first time of my life, I've not managed to install an OS on my own. I'm ashamed and devistated, and that is why i need your help!

Components:

- Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 2.66GHz 6MB FSB1333 Boxed (with cpu-cooler!) Socket 775

- Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R iG33 4DDR2-DIMM 2PCI 2PCIe SATA Audio VGA GB-LAN Socket775 mATX

- Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit DVD Swedish OEM SP1 (authentic)

- CD/DVD (IDE)

- Bios: Use of licensed AWARD BIOS, PnP 1.0a, DMI 2.0, SM BIOS 2.3, ACPI 1.0b

HDD is connected with a SATA, and CD/DVD is connected with oldschool IDE. The HDD is not formated, and a want to make a new clean installation of Vista 64-bit. Vista does not locate any HDD to install on, right in the beginning of installation (just after entering the key).

I understand that I must either change some settings in bios (to enable SATA...) or somehow install drivers for SATA during the vista installation process (either SATA drivers from a floppy/usb or drivers from the mobo cd-rom).

Greatful to any help to solve my problem!

Btw, where in bios to you see if the computer detects the HDD (so I know if I have to change the bios settings or something else is wrong...)

akhilles

Splendid
Restart PC, tap DEL for bios, load optimized defaults, save & exit, go back to bios, go to:

Standard CMOS Features

Your SATA HDD will show as IDE on one of the channels on that page. If it doesn't show, shut down, disconnect power cord, triple-check your connections. Some HDDs have 2 power connectors for IDE & SATA. Connect only the SATA power connection. Some have jumpers in the back. Check these against the manufacturer's install guide which can be downloaded from them. If that still won't work, replace or use another DATA & POWER cables for that drive. If still no worky, unplug all but the problematic drive. It should show in bios.

By the way, some mobos need to be powered off for a few minutes. At the end of POST, there's a line "Verifying DMI Pool Data..." It MUST say success. If not, shut down, unplug cord, wait 10 min to 1 hour.

No, you don't need SATA driver floppy for installing Windows on a single standalone SATA harddisk. The OS includes the driver. The floppy is for RAID.