Sign in with
Your question

Explorer.exe not starting

Last response: in Windows XP
June 25, 2008 10:31:50 AM

Hi

Got a problem with win xp sp1 on my desktop pc

Was using Internet explorer last night and it froze, only thing I could do was to press the reset button, it boots up got a error about a damaged registry file and recovery from backup successful and displays my wallpaper, but no icons and no taskbar, nothing happens when I press the windows key on the keyboard, mouse works but not the right click, in task manager(only thing that works) I see that explorer.exe is not running. If I try and run it I will not start.

I can reformat my machine, but if I can't find out what happened, it will probably happen again.

I use avg free v7

In case your wondering I am typing this from a laptop

More about : explorer exe starting

June 25, 2008 11:25:59 AM

AVG is not good enough. You want to secure IE. Google IE7 pro. Free. Comes with a dozen add-ons.

Can you log onto another account? Tap F8 at boot for safe mode, log on as admin, run some tools like "the cleaner" (google).
June 25, 2008 1:07:35 PM

Hi

When I run in safe mode, just a black screen with safe mode in each corner, no taskbar, no icons

I don't have a floppy drive on this machine, any ideas how to get "the cleaner" on to this machine ?
Related resources
June 25, 2008 2:04:00 PM

Got it installed now

I've run "the cleaner" by moosoft, it didn't find anything wrong

Whats strange is, when I boot the machine, no error messages show up.

I tried to edit the previous message, it said not allowed
June 26, 2008 11:59:40 AM

I'm sorry. I meant to say EasyCleaner. You need to make sure your pc isn't infected with malware or corrupt.
!