Sign in with
Your question

HELP! Deleted Part of the NTFS partition.

Tags:
Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
April 10, 2011 11:38:34 PM

Hi everyone,

I have a 2005 dell desktop that was running ubuntu 10.10, when I decided it needed a refurbishment and tried to reload ubuntu 10.10. I first tried, stupidly, to wipe the hard drive so I could start fresh. It didn't work very well and left one of the partitions heavily damaged but not deleted and a very small portion of the NTFS missing. I accidently deleted about 5000 bytes before I realized what was happening and stopped the procces.

I then tried to boot ubuntu 10.10 from a DVD boot disk I made. However whenever I clicked on the 'install' button, it gave me a unfixable error with the operating system and gave me the option to run from the disk to try to fix the problem. I re-installed XP with the re-install disk which came with the computer. I also, stupidly, reformated the C: hard drive. However there were some obvious bugs with XP when it ran, like unfixable resolution, among others.

I have tried a number of ways of installing ubuntu, but none are working. I think that all this leads back to the accidental deletion of part of NTFS. I am wondering if their is a way of rescuing my hardrive or whether a new hard drive may be a better option. I am not really handy with computers and ubuntu has been my first venture out past the boring XP and awful vista, so please try to explain more in laymans terms.

Thank you very much,
April 11, 2011 3:37:15 AM

Your drive is certainly not lost forever. You should be able to delete all partition data and let (g)parted create all new partition data...
m
l
April 11, 2011 10:53:14 AM

Yep, just recreate the partition table and you'll generally correct any partition issues. Of course this will result in total data loss, but it sounds like you're long past that stage anyway.
m
l
Related resources
April 12, 2011 11:08:14 PM

randomizer said:
Yep, just recreate the partition table and you'll generally correct any partition issues. Of course this will result in total data loss, but it sounds like you're long past that stage anyway.

randomizer,
How would I create the partition table? and, would I need software (off the internet or otherwise) to fix this problem?

Thanks.
m
l
April 13, 2011 3:28:46 AM

Yes, use gparted as mentioned by skittle. You can also use the Ubuntu installer.
m
l
April 17, 2011 11:16:07 PM

skittle said:
Your drive is certainly not lost forever. You should be able to delete all partition data and let (g)parted create all new partition data...

the problem is when I load the ubuntu boot-disk it gives me a fatal error everytime I try to install, and when I run off of the disk it crashes whenever I try anything more complex than looking through menus. I have no idea why the installer is running in to this trouble but I think it has to do with when I tried to delete the partitions. Thank you very much for the advise thusfar.
m
l
April 18, 2011 12:45:42 AM

Was the computer running properly before you started? Also, are you sure the disc burnt correctly (there should be a "media test" option in the boot menu of the CD/DVD)?
m
l
April 20, 2011 12:46:48 PM

PreferLinux-

yes my computer was running fine beforehand, and yes I've made several copies of ubuntu and all of them come up with the same error. When I open (g)parted i have my boot partition, something called an 'extended partition' and a third partition called 'unknown' which has an exclamation point on it, which I guess indicates an error. thanks.
m
l
April 20, 2011 10:40:12 PM

Was the ISO downloaded correctly?
m
l
!