Sign in with
Your question

Dude! Your getting RID of your Dell! - help my new build

Last response: in Systems
May 17, 2007 7:50:28 PM

SOOOOO… I think I’ve finally pieced together my new computer. It will be replacing a Dell Dimension 4400 bought in 2000. Yay!

After a ton of research this is what I’ve come up with. I'm trying for:
- quiet
- good for games
- no required upgrades for 2 years (hopefully)
- “core” system has to at least squeak by for 5.
- under $1500 Canadian

Please, let me know what you think. Nothing is bought yet, so I still have time to change.

Processor: $240 - C2D E6420
– will likely OC to at least 2.66, maybe 2.93

CPU Cooler: $0 Intel Retail Heatsink and Fan
– may try to add a Noctua NH-I12F ($70) or Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme ($70). Would I need to add a fan to the Ultra-120 Extreme? If not, that is my choice.

Motherboard: $170 - Asus P5K (basic), though I’ll be sure to read the reviews on Monday.
(The XFX nForce 650i Ultra may be my “save some money” option - $120)

Memory: $155 - Crucial BallistiX 2GB PC2-6400

Case: $100 - Antec SOLO (should I add a fan? comes with one 120mm)

Power Supply: $120 - Corsair HX 520W – Is this enough juice?

Hard Drive: $70 - Western Digital 160GB Caviar SE 7200rpm

Optical Drive: $43 - Samsung SH-S183L SATA w/ Lightscribe

Video Cards: $350 - eVGA e-GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB (might splurge for the 620MB ($480), what do you think?)

OS: $0 - XP Pro x64 (Already have it. Also have a Pro x86 license I could transfer.)

More about : dude rid dell build

May 17, 2007 8:13:04 PM

The Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme requires you to purchase your own fan.

You may want to add an intake fan to the SOLO; I don't own this case, however, so someone else may have a differing opinion.

OCing the E6420 is pretty easy... there's a guide in the Overclocking section of these forums that's a big help.

The P5K should be a nice motherboard; my P5B Deluxe is great.

The eVGA 8800GTS is awesome.

Overall, your build looks nice.
Related resources
May 17, 2007 8:40:18 PM

Just from reading reviews and other threads, stay away from the "vanilla" motherboards and drop down a few extra dollars on the deluxe :wink:

Probably go ahead and splurge for the 640MB 8800GTS since you want this computer to last you around 5 years. Power supply should suffice. As long as you get one of the motherboards with the P35 chipset, you should be good.

Case... the P182 cases are nice, as well as the P180 case. Case is extremely quiet when coupled with a quiet power supply. That's with 2 blow out fans, 1 intake fan, CPU fan on Scythe (quiet), and the middle fan in the bottom compartment of the case. The only thing I hear out of my case is the stupid OCZ GameXStream 700 WATT PS! After voiding the 3 year warranty and replacing the fan with a Yate Loon to make it quiet, it's still LOUD!!! *sighs* I'm surprised that the fan on my Leadtek GeForce 7900GS is quieter than the power supply!!!

Good luck with your build!
May 17, 2007 10:51:16 PM

Thanks everyone so far for the advice. Keep it coming too! You can never have enough information (well, most of the time anyway).

I just want to address/expand on comments so far, to really get to the bottom of it:

Case - going with the Antec P18x was definately considered. It's a great case by all accounts. But, I chose the SOLO due to looks. It reviews well enough, and it really has the clean, sophisticated look I'm after and not for $250+ (cough... Lian-Li.... cough). If I was dreaming, I'd use a Mac Pro case, but I bet it would be pricey too if you could get it. However, if anyone knows of significant flaws with the SOLO I would rethink it. For example, can a 8800 GTS fit in it?

Motherboard - I will definately wait for a review or two, but maybe I should consider sending a few extra $$ and get one of the deluxe boards. Any other opinions here?

CPU Cooler - can anyone say how well the silent option listed above performs? Any other viable silent options for a CPU Cooler?

Thanks again.
May 17, 2007 11:21:04 PM

cases:

check out Lian Li, they have some great cases:

these 2 are the same besides the color: they have 2x120mm fans... very good:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

these are the same cases, but with tow extra 80mm fans installed in the side and top, very good also:

these are the same as the above, but with a side panel window also:

check out my Great Deals thread for some... umm great deals:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Great-Deals-fto...

Good Luck
May 18, 2007 12:20:11 AM

Quote:
check out my Great Deals thread for some... umm great deals:

I actually really love some of the Lian-Li cases. Only trouble is they seem to be really pricey here in Canada. And most (if not all) of these US Online stores do not ship to Canada. And by the time you add shipping and customs fees, there is no longer a deal on the ones that do.

Here's the case I would choose if not for the extra $100
http://www.memoryexpress.com/index.php?PageTag=&page=file&memx_menu=EmbedProductDetail.php&DisplayProductID=7981&SID=
May 18, 2007 2:46:35 AM

i would say go with the delux motherboard and stay with the 320 mb gpu it is benched nearly the same as the 640 mb one
May 18, 2007 8:58:42 PM

Bump.

Just wanted to see if anyone had some additional thoughts/comments.

Particularly looking for comments on:

8800 GTS 640 vs 320 - currently have 1280x1024 res, may upgrade to 1920 x 1200 (24") in a bit.

Silent CPU cooler options: are there any good ones? Is there any point?
May 19, 2007 6:55:45 AM

To be sure you are covered either way, get the 640mb, O/C if you can afford it. That will defintly power a 24" monitor.
I heard the Noctua UH-12F is quiet as any.
May 19, 2007 3:08:58 PM

I have a Scythe Ninja on mine and can't even hear it!!! And my computer sits right next to me (and is elevated... to clear the sub next to my desk).

I heard the Tuniq Towers 120 are like one of the best air coolers you can get. But not sure how quiet they really are.
May 19, 2007 3:36:41 PM

Quote:
I have a Scythe Ninja on mine and can't even hear it!!! And my computer sits right next to me (and is elevated... to clear the sub next to my desk).

I heard the Tuniq Towers 120 are like one of the best air coolers you can get. But not sure how quiet they really are.

same as that , it does have a slight hum, but my case ans are even louder, one point though, ive noticed that the scythe fan is a pain in the ass to attach to asus boards, i put it on my evga without a hitch( maybe the holes on the asus are narrower or something, i installed it on 2 asus p5n320e sli boards )

to the OP if you want the core to last 5 years, you definately need a bettoer PSU than 520, id try for 750 if i were you get recommendations off here or off the nvidia SLI site, Also get a good sized case( for adding stuff later and good airflow )

id get the 640mb 8800 gts if you plan on running high res on a 22-24" simply because of the memory high res textures take

Also, you could save money and get a Core 2 6400 instead, theresy very little in performance and not worth the difference in cash( well it wasnt when i checked 4-5 weeks ago anyway )
May 20, 2007 6:24:04 AM

Quote:
Also, you could save money and get a Core 2 6400 instead,

Actually, funny thing is the 6420 is cheaper that the 6400 where I am buying it. Silly, but good for me.

Thanks everyone for the advice.
May 20, 2007 5:44:39 PM

Quote:
Also, you could save money and get a Core 2 6400 instead,

Actually, funny thing is the 6420 is cheaper that the 6400 where I am buying it. Silly, but good for me.

Thanks everyone for the advice.
nice one, 5 weeks ago for me it was 30 euro more expensive but onlt 3-5% faster( if that ) so i didnt bother simply because im oc'ing the 6400 anyway.

Good luck with the build
!