Help Understanding Linux

albinoshadow

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Hello fellow internetz! I have a question that I'm hoping might have a reply that has enough information to answer all of my questions...

Essentially I recently built a gaming rig, but I may be taking it off to MIT or Stanford for a week or two for a game dev team. I hear Linux is a good OS for programming and I figured why not boot up with either Win7 or Linux... Basically just wondering what version of Linux should I get (L1NUX N00B), mostly for making games and testing.

I asked what version since I don't know if there is a better version of Linux out there, as I said I am a complete noob to this OS.

Solution
One distro is not necessarily better than any other! The linux kernel is mostly the same throughout distrobutions. The main differences you will encounter are:
1.) Default desktop. Gnome, KDE, XFCE, LXDE... etc..
2.) Package Management.
3.) drivers already compiled into kernel.

Distros you may want to start with: Ubuntu, Mint, or Fedora. These (and their derivatives) are probably the easiest to get start with.
One distro is not necessarily better than any other! The linux kernel is mostly the same throughout distrobutions. The main differences you will encounter are:
1.) Default desktop. Gnome, KDE, XFCE, LXDE... etc..
2.) Package Management.
3.) drivers already compiled into kernel.

Distros you may want to start with: Ubuntu, Mint, or Fedora. These (and their derivatives) are probably the easiest to get start with.

Solution

albinoshadow

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Okay I sorta am at a loss... I know these names but what do they mean to me. Like which ones are easy to start with and which will be the most compatible for a secondary boot going against win7, or is that not compatible with Linux?

All those distros (any distro) will dual boot with Windows 7). And they are all easy to install and use. If you have enough bandwidth, download some live CDs (try Fedora, Mandriva, SuSE, and Ubuntu) and try them. If you just want a "use this" recommendation, then go for Ubuntu. It will do everything you want it to.

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
There are ways to get windows to be able to access your linux partitions, but those drivers aren't the most stable ones out there, and not for the faint of heart (no noobs apply).

Most any linux distribution that gets classified as a desktop system has the ability to access the windows partition, browse it and either has programs already to access those files, or has the programs available to install using the package manager.

http://distrowatch.com has a list of too many linux distributions, descriptions and links to each. Things I look for are how long its been since a release, or other activity. The big names, Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, etc are all well polished and maintained, that's why they're big names. People use them.

One way to easily share files between systems is to create a FAT32 data partition that both can access. I'm not really in favour of making the OS partition visible to the other OS; there is too much potential for my liking to damage important system files. External (or networked) drives and/or FTP are other ways of sharing files.

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Have fun with it. Its a very stable featured distribution. Part of the alure of linux however is you can customize it to your liking in many more ways than windows. Throw convention out of the box and start making subtle changes and see what you like and don't like.

albinoshadow

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Internet complications such as not being able to connect to my home network which is an easy connection over Windows. I believe it may be an issue with the drivers. Not sure though seeing as I ALSO cannot view my drivers CD under Linux.

As to file transferring I didn't know where the start...

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
The files won't transfer automatically, you will need to access them through the filesystem. Your drivers CD is useless in linux - it only contains drivers for windows. Thankfully most all hardware is supported by linux directly, sometimes it does require setup however. What network card are we talking about? (make/model)

ArisVer

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
With Ubuntu 10.10 there is an option under System-->Administration-->Additional Drivers where you can automatically download drivers (if any) for your equipment. If you are connected of course.

randomizer

Champion

The network connection problem could be many things. Do you have the ability to select wireless networks when you right-click (or left click?) the networking icon in the notification area (system tray) in the top-right?

As for the file issue, it really depends how you installed Ubuntu. If you selected the option for using the whole disk.... well, let's just hope there was nothing important there. On the other hand, if you correctly installed it as a dual boot then you should be able to find your files. Open up the file manager Nautilus and look for the drives on the left hand side.

wombat_tg

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010

By home network do you mean your web connection or do you mean a share?

As for moving the files, assuming you didn't use the whole disk and the files are still there when you boot into Windows, you just need to find the Windows drive and mount it, and you should have access to the files.

Since Windows can't read the files on your Linux machine (without some gymnastics) you will have to think about how you'll get any Linux files to your Window machine if you want to access them while booted into Windows. If you edit a file on the Linux side its' Windows counterpart won't be updated. There are a lot of ways around this. Probably one of the easiest is to go with something like DropBox or SpiderOak.

wombat_tg

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010

But... but... cloud syncing... :lol:

I also move back and forth between multiple VMs and computers, so I find something like DB/Box/SO very easy. I'm getting lazy in my old age. :p