Sign in with
Your question

Sound Issue (possibly driver)

Last response: in Windows Vista
July 28, 2008 6:28:27 PM

Hello guys

Got my new gaming PC yesterday and so far everything went smooth. It's running a Vista Ultimate 64bit
Now I do have a problem with my 5.1 surround sound! Only my 2 front speakes and subwoofer actually work... (thus the center speaker and both rear speakers don't) I've checked the Configuration Wizard for "Speakers" several times, and during that wizard all 5 speakers and the woofer work!
I've checked the driver several times, it's a Realtek ALC1200 chipset on a PQ5 Pro motherboard

anyone know a possible fix for this please?

thanks in advance!
July 28, 2008 7:21:05 PM

What brand/model is your speaker system? I had same issue with an older Creative Soundworks?system but my newer Logitech works great.
July 28, 2008 8:30:17 PM

Creative A500, but it's obviously not the speaker problem... as they work fine during the configuration test
Related resources
July 28, 2008 8:53:42 PM

Rayko said:
Creative A500, but it's obviously not the speaker problem... as they work fine during the configuration test

My Creatives did the exact same thing, they worked during the test, all speakers front and rear, but I could never get anything out of the rear during games or music. They worked in XP, IIRC, though it's foggy now. I never got to the bottom of it. These speakers I had dated back to mid nineties and didn't do 5.1 - just 4 satellites and a sub. As soon as I hooked up the new Logitechs everything worked great. I could have been doing something wrong I guess. I only mention this because like yours mine worked during the sound card test utility but not elsewhere.
July 29, 2008 11:05:20 AM

strange thing huh... also, they worked fine when I was using XP
July 29, 2008 12:30:51 PM

Microsoft changed how sound works in Vista, and many makers (Creative being the biggest offender/example) havne't bothered to write proper drivers for their stuff. Arguably because they want you to buy new cards, but it could simply be incompetence...

You can try:
Realtec: http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SOUND-CARD/OTHER-SOUND...

!