Your question

networking in Vista connecting to the internet

Tags:
  • Windows Vista
  • Internet
Last response: in Windows Vista
July 29, 2008 9:39:37 AM

First off, what is with all the popups?
If a virus/hack is powerfull enough to initiate a function, will it not be able to activate the effing OK button?

Ok, I am not entirely uninitiated with vista. I have worked on other peoples' vista computers.
I know how to setup a home network (crossover cables) and use Internet Conneciton Sharing.

However, I can't get my personal PC to connect to the net.
Vista installs fine.
Vista says I have a network & internet connection (icon tray notification thingy: byte sent, bytes recieved look normal)
But I can't connect to the internet. When I run the diagnostic option it says "we are sorry there is a problem we cannot fix, please contact your isp, or change your proxy settings)

If I uninstall the network device I can't re-install it b/c the add new hardware wizard comes up blank, but when I restart the effing network device is still there and working just as before!

It is such a simple setup. Integrated NVIDIA Ethernet to Cable Modem. No router, no switches, no AP ...why can't I get this to work? AND why does it insist on being a "network" XP lists Internet connections different from Network connections.

Every little stinkin LINUX DISTRO can get me on the net with little to no hassle, why can't VISTA?????

...WTHeck?

More about : networking vista connecting internet

July 29, 2008 12:22:54 PM

You're probably being blocked by your ISP. I know mine reads everything connected and only allows access to registered devices. ...so contact your ISP like your computer says.
m
l
August 4, 2008 1:47:21 AM

Wouldn't hurt to check the firewall settings either... nVidia's firewall software is notorious for blocking anything and everything.
m
l