Fox HD Causes Problems with Samsung SIR-T151 Tuner

My SIR-T151 will freeze and get streaks across the picture only on Fox HD
network broadcasts. It works fine on all the other channels, which in my
area are NBC, CBS, PBS and ABC. It has no problems with local broadcasts
on the Fox channel, which are upconverted to HD. So, the problem appears
to be the network signal. When it happens there is a 'blip' with a split
second loss of signal. Sometimes the tuner recovers without problems,
other times it may freeze or come back with dots or streaks across the
picture. Changing channels doesn't get rid of the streaks. Turning the
tuner off and on again is the only way to fix the freezing, dots and
streaks.

Antenna is a rooftop Radio Shack VHF/UHF antenna. Signal strength is
excellent, there are no reception problem symptoms on Fox, like
pixelation or signal loss, which I periodically have on ABC and PBS.

My theory is the box is overloaded by signal errors from the Fox network
broadcasts. Anyone have any ideas what this is and how to fix it? I
don't think the tuner is bad, as it works fine with all other stations.

TIA for any help.
4 answers Last reply
More about problems samsung t151 tuner

    User at Newshosting wrote:

    > My SIR-T151 will freeze and get streaks across the picture only on Fox HD
    > network broadcasts. It works fine on all the other channels, which in my
    > area are NBC, CBS, PBS and ABC. It has no problems with local broadcasts
    > on the Fox channel, which are upconverted to HD. So, the problem appears
    > to be the network signal. When it happens there is a 'blip' with a split
    > second loss of signal. Sometimes the tuner recovers without problems,
    > other times it may freeze or come back with dots or streaks across the
    > picture. Changing channels doesn't get rid of the streaks. Turning the
    > tuner off and on again is the only way to fix the freezing, dots and
    > streaks.
    >
    > Antenna is a rooftop Radio Shack VHF/UHF antenna. Signal strength is
    > excellent, there are no reception problem symptoms on Fox, like
    > pixelation or signal loss, which I periodically have on ABC and PBS.
    >
    > My theory is the box is overloaded by signal errors from the Fox network
    > broadcasts. Anyone have any ideas what this is and how to fix it? I
    > don't think the tuner is bad, as it works fine with all other stations.
    >
    > TIA for any help.

    I own both a Samsung T-151 & new T-451 Digital Receivers..

    Have had the T-151 for 1 year, 3 months now..
    It had 1 nasty habit of locking up (going blank) for a Full Power
    Chan 23
    ABC-HD OTA local station 8 miles away.. All other 5 HD
    stations
    & 1 SD (WB) worked well with the T-151....
    This tuner is used to give Analog Demos of HD for friends &
    relatives now..

    The new $250 T-451 (2 months old now) works fast & slick for All
    6 Local Digital over the Air HD/SD channels...
    It locks on all OTA HD Locals 'quick'......

    I use a Channel Master 3021 4 bay bow tie antenna 'on the ceiling
    plant hook'.

    Sounds to me like defective software in the unit.

    Jeff

    "User at Newshosting" <user@use.use> wrote in message
    > My SIR-T151 will freeze and get streaks across the picture only on Fox HD
    > network broadcasts. It works fine on all the other channels, which in my
    > area are NBC, CBS, PBS and ABC. It has no problems with local broadcasts
    > on the Fox channel, which are upconverted to HD. So, the problem appears
    > to be the network signal. When it happens there is a 'blip' with a split
    > second loss of signal. Sometimes the tuner recovers without problems,
    > other times it may freeze or come back with dots or streaks across the
    > picture. Changing channels doesn't get rid of the streaks. Turning the
    > tuner off and on again is the only way to fix the freezing, dots and
    > streaks.
    >
    > Antenna is a rooftop Radio Shack VHF/UHF antenna. Signal strength is
    > excellent, there are no reception problem symptoms on Fox, like
    > pixelation or signal loss, which I periodically have on ABC and PBS.
    >
    > My theory is the box is overloaded by signal errors from the Fox network
    > broadcasts. Anyone have any ideas what this is and how to fix it? I
    > don't think the tuner is bad, as it works fine with all other stations.
    >
    > TIA for any help.

    "User at Newshosting" <user@use.use> wrote in message
    > My SIR-T151 will freeze and get streaks across the picture only on Fox HD
    > network broadcasts. It works fine on all the other channels, which in my
    > area are NBC, CBS, PBS and ABC. It has no problems with local broadcasts
    > on the Fox channel, which are upconverted to HD. So, the problem appears
    > to be the network signal. When it happens there is a 'blip' with a split
    > second loss of signal. Sometimes the tuner recovers without problems,
    > other times it may freeze or come back with dots or streaks across the
    > picture. Changing channels doesn't get rid of the streaks. Turning the
    > tuner off and on again is the only way to fix the freezing, dots and
    > streaks.
    >
    > Antenna is a rooftop Radio Shack VHF/UHF antenna. Signal strength is
    > excellent, there are no reception problem symptoms on Fox, like
    > pixelation or signal loss, which I periodically have on ABC and PBS.
    >
    > My theory is the box is overloaded by signal errors from the Fox network
    > broadcasts. Anyone have any ideas what this is and how to fix it? I
    > don't think the tuner is bad, as it works fine with all other stations.
    >
    > TIA for any help.

    No problem here with CH 13 the Fox network but FOXHD from another channel
    recently (last week) can't be received on my Samsung PT5598HDI TV. With a
    HD set top box from another company it comes in perfectly. My brother has
    the same TV in our building and he can't receive it either. It is not a
    signal strength issue, I'm guessing they recently changed to a different
    modulation scheme and my tuner can't pick that up.

    "Dennis Mayer" <Polaris1@execpc.com> wrote in message
    > I own both a Samsung T-151 & new T-451 Digital Receivers..
    >
    > Have had the T-151 for 1 year, 3 months now..
    > It had 1 nasty habit of locking up (going blank) for a Full Power
    > Chan 23

    Many Samsung receivers are fully PSIP aware. Stations putting out faulty
    PSIP signals can cause problems. The FCC doesn't require proper PSIP info
    yet but is scheduled to sometime in February 2005. Stations putting out
    faulty PSIP info after that will be subject to punative action.

    Pat

HDTV Tuner HD Samsung Home Theatre