Can map a windows 7 drive to Ubuntu, but can't see Ubuntu from Windows 7

jwiens

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Hello,

I am able to map my laptop Windows 7 drives easily from Ubuntu 10.10. However, seeing my Ubuntu drives from my Windows 7 laptop??? Forget it. I am running Samba in Ubuntu and have shared the drives..no problem. Running Windows 7 Ultimate, was installed with Home network settings.....Anyone that can help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks

Kw1k

Distinguished
May 25, 2010

Are you running a true dual boot or are you running Ubuntu through there .msi installer the "wubi" (you get the windows boot menu with this version)? heres a link from the ubuntu web site

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/tools-to-access-linux-partitions-from-windows.html

jwiens

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Neither. My Linux (Ubuntu 11.04) distro is on a desktop, and my Windows 7 is running on my laptop. I used to be able to map the windows 7 shared folder using an SMB:\\ physical address in the Go menu from browser in Linux, but I have misplace the syntax recently, so I can't even see it from the other side.

What I am looking to do though, optimally, is map the Linux shared folders from within my Windows 7 laptop. For some reason, data transfers are faster going from the Windows 7 laptop to the Linux desktop. Now I am screwed on both though, as I said, I forgot the syntax for a directr smb:\\ address from Linux.

I am running the latest version of Samba, and have added the linux folders in Samba that I want to share.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys/gals,

Jason

TRENDING THREADS