Status
Not open for further replies.
Vista 64 systems available at Best Buy? That is news. Amazing to think 98% of PC users were using OSs other than Vista 64 until just recently. Vista 64 will be remembered as the OS responsible for the beginning of the end of 32 bit mainstream computing. For me, employing a 64 bit OS to use and enjoy on a daily basis was probably the most satisfying single thing I have experienced with my personal computers. My wife has moved to Vista 64 Ultimate! I mean since she conquered the mouse, which seems like yesterday, she is enjoying the 64 bit train. Finally!!!!! I can't wait to build my next 'machine'. 8)

Perception that the customer base wouldn't be ready and therefore wouldn't accept it. Add undertainty regarding 3rd party willingness to create two sets of drivers for their products.

And I'm inclined to believe there's a certain amount of truth to that. Even now people like to scream about incompatibilities. About which, to a large extent, those of us who use V64 are often stuck scratching our heads trying to figure out what they're talking about. And should there be a response along the lines of "...what do you mean it doesn't work... I'm looking at it now...", it just gets shouted down.

I agree, and have posted in the past that MSFT may well have been better off just going 64, and telling the market something along the lines of "64 bit computing is the next step. We will be there, and invite you to join us with your next purchase..." Then issuing SP3 for XP and leaving it at that.

But from a business perspective, there's an awful lot of risk associated with a move like that. Hardly an apples for apples comparison, but Intel tried it, and lost, with their Itanium chips. And were rewarded for their efforts with only a niche. Doing both allows the market to stick with the 32 bit it knows, and allows the transition to be more gradual. Windows 7 (already being called 'Vista SP2 by some!?!?!') will stick to the same theme - 32 bit and 64 bit flavors.

I think it's a good thing that people are choosing to make the jump to 64 bit sooner rather than later - But I'm also thinking it may be more enthusiast/gamer driven ("More RAM") and that therefore there will be a slowdown in uptake as that niche is satisfied. We shall see, though - Enthusiasts and gamers do tell their friends and family what they like. And so the seeds may be sown for more widespread acceptance.

My $0.02

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
Good post Scotteq, in regards to your second paragraph, I find myself defending V64 to people all the time. Even at our local computer store here in Montreal Canada (Microbytes), a couple of the employees there try to tell people how v64 has these and those problems, and im standing right there scratching my head like, no thats not true, who most likely just repeat what they read from other people's complaints anyways.

Besides, it's only that, in my opinion, people aren't technical enough, or brave enough to disvocer whatever issue they might have with V64 (this web site does not include this conclusion), which from what I have seen are mostly non existant in V32. I myself was thrown into a pit when my computer restarted over and over again with a new V64 instalation. There I was blaming Vista at first, until I realized vista wasn't the problem, it was my ram, my motherboard by default gave out 1.8 volts when I actually needed 2.2 volts. For that I must thank you notherdude and scotteq for both of you helped me alot, but not only me I see both of you helping everyone every chance you get, your both an asset to many people's lives with vista issues.

If only vista didn't have such a rocky start, and more 64bit support from 3rd party companies, such as zonealarm -.-

And as for your last paragraph, you got me :p I got V64 to have a sleeker look, more ram (for games), and actually have my ram do something for the most part (superfetch). But then again, it was either vista premium 64 for $136 (oem), or xp home for $100

...wow. It took nearly two years, but this is a breakthrough for Vista. A new found following.

To put this in perspective, in its first quarter, only 5 percent of Gateway's notebooks and desktops were 64-bit. In its third quarter, a whopping 95 percent of desktops will be 64-bit and 30 percent of notebooks will be.

OMG!

Makes sense if you think about it - One OS to support. And if a user wants another couple gig of memory, nothing more is (*theoretically*) needed than sending out the sticks.

I take it as a validation of what a lot of us have been saying: The needed drivers and apps *are* there, and they *do* work.

Yep. I have followed about 300 comments on the two stories linked and it seems pretty clear that only a handful of things are questionable on Vista 64 at this time. We are finally over the hump! 64 has arrived.

All the support from the OEMs tells you something too. Now if more Vista haters would come clean and admit that they jumped on the 'vista sux' bandwagon for no good reason . . .

heh - Far easier just to keep the mouth shut, tho. Which, on some days, would be a distinct improvement! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.