Jaye25

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Hi I have a question about what kind of icon is supposed to be displayed in the task bar. Last month I had to take my computer in to get worked on. Before this I had an icon of a computer with a green check thorough it located in the taskbar at the bottom lower right hand of my screen. Since I received my computer back the icon has been changed to one of two computers that sort of blink on and off and no check mark. When I pass my cursor over it say Local Area Connection. I have asked around in other places and have gotten several different answers. Can anyone here tell For Sure what this icon is for and how I change it back to the first one please? Thanks

The icon you currently have is telling you that your network is connected and operating. If you don't like the icon, you can remove it by going to your Local Area Connection properties and untick "Show icon in notification area when connected". The green check mark you're referring to is likely from some sort of third-party program that isn't included with Windows. The icon didn't necessarily change, the people that worked on your computer either disabled or removed the program that displayed the icon. They also probably ticked off the box in your local area connection properties as part of diagnosing your issue.

What did the icon say before? Without knowing, it's going to be quite hard to track down the program associated with it. It might have been some sort of spyware... which would explain why it was removed.