AMD 4X4

mrmjs

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I wish the 4X4 was a dual AM2 socket set up :( seems odd that AMD wouldn't have set it up that way. Wouldn't it of made more sense to go dual AMD2??

I'm sure there was a reason, I know I'd buy the extra cpu with new mobo in a min.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
I wish the 4X4 was a dual AM2 socket set up :( seems odd that AMD wouldn't have set it up that way. Wouldn't it of made more sense to go dual AMD2??

I'm sure there was a reason, I know I'd buy the extra cpu with new mobo in a min.

Technically impossible .... a multi socket setup with AMD's platform requires minimum of 2 HT transport links to the outside world, one to the chipset(s) and one between sockets to cohere the cache..... Socket AM2 was not built nor has enough pins to accomodate such an arrangement.

Jack

Which explains why a Quad setup is so damn expensive, and why Barcelona should be a great improvement. :)

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Well lets see...two sockets, a more complex northbridge, and a redesigned layout. All those seem to cost a bit more now don't they? Let me know if I'm I missing something. Wait, nevermind. I said I was squelching your pathetic little self.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
The board is thicker to support the weight maybe? Regardless, I don't care. I don't need to be chastised by a punk for a single silly simple statement. You're just a jerk and you can't bother me by antagonizing me. Everyone is a freaking expert on these "forums for geeky losers with no lives" and I understand this is how you get your ego on. It's ok buddy. I'm sure your daddy wanted to hug you.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Not sure how I'm wrong. The argument was whatever you were trying to make it. I'm not sure on that either...but whatever chump. I'll say you win if it'll get you to quit being one of these countless know-it-all buttheads on the forums...