  • Burner
  • Microsoft
  • CD-Rom
May 18, 2005 7:46:02 AM

Does XP provide the interface to play DVD's? I can't seem to play them on my
new DVD/CD burner.

More about : dvd playing

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 10:53:49 AM

Hi,

No, you need a DVD codec, then you can play them in Windows Media Player.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Texas Kid" <Texas Kid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does XP provide the interface to play DVD's? I can't seem to play them on
> my
> new DVD/CD burner.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 11:51:28 AM

This low cost codec should work for you
http://www.wmplugins.com/ItemDetail.aspx?ItemID=147

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Texas Kid" <Texas Kid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does XP provide the interface to play DVD's? I can't seem to play them on
> my
> new DVD/CD burner.
May 18, 2005 3:40:27 PM

Additional DVD Decoders can be found here

http://www.dougknox.com/xpmce/dvddecoders.htm

Note, the NVidia online store is offline at this time. Its expected back up soon, but their trial version expires after 30 days.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message news:o 2d7oG7WFHA.3348@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> This low cost codec should work for you
> http://www.wmplugins.com/ItemDetail.aspx?ItemID=147
>
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>

> "Texas Kid" <Texas Kid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Does XP provide the interface to play DVD's? I can't seem to play them on
>> my
>> new DVD/CD burner.

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 3:36:57 PM

Are you sure you don't have dedicated DVD playing software such as PowerDVD
or WinDVD? Many computers with a DVD reader, much less burner, will come
with that. Or if you installed the burner yourself, did it come with
software? Not an "XP interface" per se, but it sounds like you're just
interesting in watching DVDs, not exactly how you do it.

"Texas Kid" <Texas Kid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does XP provide the interface to play DVD's? I can't seem to play them on
my
> new DVD/CD burner.
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 5:41:43 PM

you need either
1) software decoder e.g. PowerDVD
2) PCI card hardware decoder.

WinXP on its own won't play DVD's.

Surely your DVD player was provided with software to allow it to play DVD's?

!