Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Icewm Ubuntu server ppc

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
Share
May 3, 2011 4:39:39 PM

How can i install icewm on Ubuntu 8.04 ppc server. I have an old 98 imac g3 with 100mb of ram. would like to install Ubuntu, i know their is not enough ram for kde or gnome. So I thought about installing upuntu server than icewm. Is this possible on the ppc version if so how, do just install Ubuntu server than when i log in just type sudo apt-get update than sudo apt-get install icewm or do i need more commands to install icewm. once i get icewm installed will it stare icewm next boot or do i need to type commands to get it to boot.
May 3, 2011 8:59:42 PM

Why on earth would you consider using 8.04? This is ancient, use one of the newer releases or alternatively (and preferably) use debian.

That being said yes it is possible and is very simple. all you need to install are the icewm window manager and perhaps a display manager like xdm. or you can just start it when you want to with startx. read the gentoo or arch wiki for more information. You can also do this with debian.

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/IceWM
Score
0
May 4, 2011 10:27:15 AM

The latest PPC release of Ubuntu is 10.10, the 11.04 release has not been ported yet. You can find the download link here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCDownloads

The full PPC Ubuntu Wiki can be found here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCFAQ

In terms of making IceWM work it should be no different than on an x86 based installation as there is a full port. As such the instructions:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/IceWM

Should be all you need to get it up and running.
Score
0
Related resources
May 4, 2011 5:47:15 PM

audiovoodoo said:
The latest PPC release of Ubuntu is 10.10, the 11.04 release has not been ported yet.


Yes, and IMO this is a good reason to use debian instead.
Score
0
May 4, 2011 7:44:21 PM

I installed icewm on ubuntu 8.04 server but got a message when trying to start icewm abou no display, than i installed gnome and now ubuntu starts to load than goes to a blank screen, could be because their is not enough of ram for gnome.

Is their a ppc version of Linux with GUI that will run with only 100mb of ram since
Score
0
May 4, 2011 8:05:58 PM

shafe88 said:
I installed icewm on ubuntu 8.04 server but got a message when trying to start icewm abou no display, than i installed gnome and now ubuntu starts to load than goes to a blank screen, could be because their is not enough of ram for gnome.

Is their a ppc version of Linux with GUI that will run with only 100mb of ram since

... because you have not installed xorg.
Don't use 8.04. Its old and deprecated. Switch to 10.10, move to debian or some other *modern* ppc compatible distrobution

here is another link. please read this one carefully. It has detailed steps to get stuff working:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/LowMemor...
Score
0
May 4, 2011 8:35:59 PM

skittle said:
... because you have not installed xorg.
Don't use 8.04. Its old and deprecated. Switch to 10.10, move to debian or some other *modern* ppc compatible distrobution

here is another link. please read this one carefully. It has detailed steps to get stuff working:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/LowMemor...


I did install xorg right after installing icewm. Is thier a version of puppy or dam small linux ported to ppc. Or could i install xubuntu 7.10 than install icewm. It does not matter how ancient the os is, as I'm not using for internet, just to to listen to music, view pictures, and play simple chess.
Score
0
May 4, 2011 9:48:11 PM

Really 7.10???? Just do your self a favor and go grab debian. There is no reason not to. It even has a new option to install lxde (can still do icewm if you want) by default without you doing any configuring.

Just do 'advanced settings'->'alternative DE's'->lxde->install
or do manual install
http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst

I even have it in a 64mb virtualbox, runs just fine without any configuring. (though I suggest using a web browser such as links2 instead of firefox/iceweasel.)

Score
0
May 5, 2011 5:35:43 PM

Finally got Icwm working. used ubuntu server 11.04, took a while to install, but finally got it up and running except flash player. which a little too much for the old imac
Score
0
May 5, 2011 5:38:45 PM

shafe88 said:
Finally got Icwm working. used ubuntu server 11.04, took a while to install, but finally got it up and running except flash player. which a little too much for the old imac


Good to see you got it working! Also I am glad to see ubuntu supporting ppc again!
Score
0
December 11, 2012 5:59:25 AM

This topic has been closed by Amdfangirl
Score
0
!