Multiple computers same Xp Possible?

master_andalf

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Hello all,

I have a legitimate copy of windows Xp Pro, and have successfully installed it on my home desktop, a good downgrade from Vista, but i have more than one computer and would like to also put Xp on another as well, can i use the same product key on the second computer I install Xp on , and run them both at the same time?

Thanks for the help

No such thing as a good downgrade...

Technically, no, you are not allowed to install one copy of Windows on more than one computer. You will not be able to activate it on the second computer... and you'll have Windows Genuine Advantage constantly nagging you.

You really don't need Ultimate... Home Premium is plenty for most users. I wanted Ultimate because I wanted all the features of Home Premium plus the features of Business. (I do a limited amount of work remotely... so having Ultimate is useful for me)

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
strange most ppl consider going from Vista to XP an upgrade.

anyway since this is a legimate site that doesn't support piracy, technically you should buy another copy of XP for the second computer.

Well you could always not activate the installations then after 30 days, format and reinstall, each machine over again.

If you were game for all that hassle you could effectively use WinXP on as many computers as you can get your hands on, for 30 days at a time and MSFT couldn't do a thing about it.

wez

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Hi

There is a way of legally activating windows with a key that has been used too many times. To do this simply go to the activation screen (the two keys in the tray) you can also access this by using the following run command, oobe/msoobe /a, select to telephone customer services, select country, ring the phone number, go through the automated options, they will ask you some questions (sometimes this is skipped), tell them that you purchased the windows via a retail outlet and that it is only installed on the one computer. They will then give you a series of numbers place these in the boxes and click next. Bobs your uncle XP = activated.

By the way this is completely legal. I know this as i was told how to do
this by a microsoft employee.

Hope this helps

WeZ

No, it's NOT legal, as it is still installed on two computers. You are essentially lying to Microsoft when you say it's only installed on one. Just because you can get away with it doesn't mean it's "legal".

wez

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
at the end of the day dude its your perogative, if microsoft are stupid enough to let you do it then its there fault. and its not illegal its called a loophole.

Then by all means tell MS that you have the same copy of one OS installed on multiple computers and see what happens...

It's not a loophole either, you are flat out lying. If you have to lie to make it work, it's not a "loophole".