iPaq won't USB charge

August 16, 2005 3:21:57 AM

I'm using a fairly new iPaq rx3115. New device overall. Starting
tonight, the device will not charge while connected to a USB port. The
device is recognized by my PC, it syncs, and the charging light flashes,
but the charge level steadily declines. If I use the electrical plug
that it came with it charges just fine. I checked to make sure that I
have "USB charge" checked on the device. I do. I tried a different USB
cable that I bought for this device. It won't charge on THAT USB cable
either.

I am using an aftermarket battery, a 1500 mAh one that I got from an
on-line store. I thought that might be the problem, but if it was why
would it charge on house current but not USB? I did a soft reset, which
changed nothing. I'm not running a bunch of applications, just SPB
Pocket Plus 3, so that doesn't seem like the cause. What else should I
check?
WC

More about : ipaq usb charge

Anonymous
August 16, 2005 11:51:30 AM

WCH wrote:

> I'm using a fairly new iPaq rx3115. New device overall. Starting
> tonight, the device will not charge while connected to a USB port.
> The device is recognized by my PC, it syncs, and the charging light
> flashes, but the charge level steadily declines. If I use the
> electrical plug that it came with it charges just fine. I checked to
> make sure that I have "USB charge" checked on the device. I do. I
> tried a different USB cable that I bought for this device. It won't
> charge on THAT USB cable either.
>
> I am using an aftermarket battery, a 1500 mAh one that I got from an
> on-line store. I thought that might be the problem, but if it was
> why would it charge on house current but not USB? I did a soft
> reset, which changed nothing. I'm not running a bunch of
> applications, just SPB Pocket Plus 3, so that doesn't seem like the
> cause. What else should I check?

Is the USB port on the PC powered?
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 2:48:12 PM

"Hans S" <i.dont.want.spam@xs4all.invalid> wrote in message
> WCH wrote:
>
>> I'm using a fairly new iPaq rx3115. New device overall. Starting
>> tonight, the device will not charge while connected to a USB port.
>> The device is recognized by my PC, it syncs, and the charging light
>> flashes, but the charge level steadily declines. If I use the
>> electrical plug that it came with it charges just fine. I checked to
>> make sure that I have "USB charge" checked on the device. I do. I
>> tried a different USB cable that I bought for this device. It won't
>> charge on THAT USB cable either.
>>
>> I am using an aftermarket battery, a 1500 mAh one that I got from an
>> on-line store. I thought that might be the problem, but if it was
>> why would it charge on house current but not USB? I did a soft
>> reset, which changed nothing. I'm not running a bunch of
>> applications, just SPB Pocket Plus 3, so that doesn't seem like the
>> cause. What else should I check?
>
> Is the USB port on the PC powered?

USB ports are all powered- the ones being calling unpowered are designed to
feed power up to 100 mA +5V power to the devices connected to it. The power
is fed though Vbus and GND pins.
(Serial ports were generally unpowered but could be coaxed into provided
around 20mA).

The USB port does not need to supply more than 100 mA unless the device
connected to it requests more current. USB commonly called powered give the
higher rate of 500mA at voltage at least 4.75 V. The UL
overcurrent-prevention requirement says that no USB port ever pass more than
5A onto any port (short circuit protection to avoid damage to equipments and
wiring).
Related resources
August 16, 2005 4:54:35 PM

> The available power from pc's, laptops and powered hubs vary widely. My
> Vaio Picturebook simply shuts down the port (no message) at what I guess
> is around 100ma while my pc seems to serve a bit more than 500ma compared
> to the charger capabilities of from 750-1500ma.

Most laptops, to my knowledge, have the "low" power USB and generally do not
work well or at all for "charging" or running higher demand devices (which
normally have their own power supply).
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 5:14:34 PM

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 23:21:57 -0400, WCH <DELwhexeterETE@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I'm using a fairly new iPaq rx3115. New device overall. Starting
>tonight, the device will not charge while connected to a USB port. The
>device is recognized by my PC, it syncs, and the charging light flashes,
>but the charge level steadily declines. If I use the electrical plug
>that it came with it charges just fine. I checked to make sure that I
>have "USB charge" checked on the device. I do. I tried a different USB
>cable that I bought for this device. It won't charge on THAT USB cable
>either.
>
>I am using an aftermarket battery, a 1500 mAh one that I got from an
>on-line store. I thought that might be the problem, but if it was why
>would it charge on house current but not USB? I did a soft reset, which
>changed nothing. I'm not running a bunch of applications, just SPB
>Pocket Plus 3, so that doesn't seem like the cause. What else should I
>check?

I have my iPAQ set to "slow" USB charge, and on that setting the rate
of charge is less than the rate of power consumption when the device
is switched on. Once the unit is powered down the battery eventually
reaches full charge.

Could it be that you have the screen set to a brighter setting than
normal, or is there some bluetooth or wi-fi connection left on that
results in a higher power consumption than you used to have?

Chris
August 16, 2005 5:14:35 PM

"Chris Blunt" <chris_blunt@despammed.com> wrote in message

> I have my iPAQ set to "slow" USB charge, and on that setting the rate
> of charge is less than the rate of power consumption when the device
> is switched on. Once the unit is powered down the battery eventually
> reaches full charge.

Just out of interest, what's the point in having fast/slow charge options?
I've just got a 4700 and I was even surprised I could turn off USB charging.
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 11:09:14 PM

Takes more current to charge your bigger battery, most likely. Try the stock
one for a bit and see if the thing still charges properly from the USB port
it used to. If so, then you know that the new battery is the culprit. The AC
charger will charge about anything, it's rated at about 2A. See the other
posts for what your USB port is likely to supply.

--
Sven
MVP - Mobile Devices
"WCH" <DELwhexeterETE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm using a fairly new iPaq rx3115. New device overall. Starting
> tonight, the device will not charge while connected to a USB port. The
> device is recognized by my PC, it syncs, and the charging light flashes,
> but the charge level steadily declines. If I use the electrical plug that
> it came with it charges just fine. I checked to make sure that I have
> "USB charge" checked on the device. I do. I tried a different USB cable
> that I bought for this device. It won't charge on THAT USB cable either.
>
> I am using an aftermarket battery, a 1500 mAh one that I got from an
> on-line store. I thought that might be the problem, but if it was why
> would it charge on house current but not USB? I did a soft reset, which
> changed nothing. I'm not running a bunch of applications, just SPB Pocket
> Plus 3, so that doesn't seem like the cause. What else should I check?
> WC
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 12:07:36 AM

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 11:44:41 +0100, "JB"
<flaxton_uk_remove@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>"Chris Blunt" <chris_blunt@despammed.com> wrote in message
>

>> I have my iPAQ set to "slow" USB charge, and on that setting the rate
>> of charge is less than the rate of power consumption when the device
>> is switched on. Once the unit is powered down the battery eventually
>> reaches full charge.
>>

>Just out of interest, what's the point in having fast/slow charge options?
>I've just got a 4700 and I was even surprised I could turn off USB charging.

Two possible reasons that I can think of. Firstly, slow charging puts
less load on the computer's USB post. USB ports are primarily
communications ports and aren't really designed to supply a large
amount of electrical power. Secondly, its kinder to the battery to
trickle charge it at a slower rate rather than fast charge it. My
iPAQ often sits connected to the computer for several days at a time,
so I feel happier having it gradually charge at a slow rate.

Chris
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 3:43:42 AM

Reply to message from "JB" <flaxton_uk_remove@yahoo.co.uk> (Tue, 16 Aug
2005 06:44:41) about "Re: iPaq won't USB charge":

J> Just out of interest, what's the point in having fast/slow charge
J> options? I've just got a 4700 and I was even surprised I could turn off
J> USB charging.

A very handy feature when the laptop that it's plugged into is running on
batteries.

JPinOH
Jon Porter <jporterDropthis@netwalk.com> Tue, 16 Aug 2005 21:03:23 -0400

August 17, 2005 3:43:47 AM

Reply to message from "Chris" <wirlybird13@cox.net> (Tue, 16 Aug 2005 13:
54:35) about "Re: iPaq won't USB charge":

C> Most laptops, to my knowledge, have the "low" power USB and generally
C> do not work well or at all for "charging" or running higher demand
C> devices (which normally have their own power supply).

My old WinBook does just fine charging this old iPaq and the battery on the
expansion pack through it's USB ports.

JPinOH
Jon Porter <jporterDropthis@netwalk.com> Tue, 16 Aug 2005 21:05:42 -0400

August 17, 2005 6:19:25 AM

My 5550 will not charge using the hp cable (on the laptop) but will charge
with an after market charge/data transfer cable. Great cable by the way ...
push of the button toggles between charge and data.

"Jon Porter" <jporterDropthis@netwalk.com> wrote in message
> Reply to message from "Chris" <wirlybird13@cox.net> (Tue, 16 Aug 2005 13:
> 54:35) about "Re: iPaq won't USB charge":
>

> C> Most laptops, to my knowledge, have the "low" power USB and generally
> C> do not work well or at all for "charging" or running higher demand
> C> devices (which normally have their own power supply).
>
> My old WinBook does just fine charging this old iPaq and the battery on
> the
> expansion pack through it's USB ports.
>

> JPinOH
> Jon Porter <jporterDropthis@netwalk.com> Tue, 16 Aug 2005 21:05:42 -0400
>
> === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 11:55:56 AM

Jon Porter wrote:

> J> Just out of interest, what's the point in having fast/slow charge
> J> options? I've just got a 4700 and I was even surprised I could
> turn off J> USB charging.
>
> A very handy feature when the laptop that it's plugged into is
> running on batteries.

Quite a few laptops don't have powered USB ports anyway :-(
August 18, 2005 6:50:11 PM

"Hans S" <i.dont.want.spam@xs4all.invalid> wrote:

>Quite a few laptops don't have powered USB ports anyway :-(

That cannot be true; a USB port must be USB compliant; 100mA drive
ability at least. Otherwise you could not plug even a mouse in there.
!