Joey JoJo

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
I have been researching this for a while, but I would like some input. Soon I will be starting a business out of my home. I plan on having four computers here and possibly two or three computers at other locations. I have set up a home network with a router (vpn version of dd-wrt) connected to a gigabit switch which in turn connects the four computers. Ideally I would like to run all of the software off of just one computer like running windows remote desktop. The server computer would use raid 5 or 10 for backups. What would it take to set this up and still have the server computer used by one of my employees.

brw02005

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Sorry could you please clarify the part of running all software off just one computer. You either want an application server or your looking for a remote desktop replacement like realvnc. As long as your vpn is secure you should be able to run that and simply conect to the ip of each computer you want to remote control from any computer with vnc viewer installed and password using the free version. I use this mainly around my home network to take care of my HTPC, linux box, notebook, pc running as a bridge, and my parents comp. The only downside I found was no videos since it can't keep up and no sound beyond that it's perfect.

Joey JoJo

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
I would like to install several tax programs onto one computer so I only have to pay for one license for each program. I have 5 employees, two of which travel, so instead of running the software from each computer, I would like to have an application server plus the server will store and backup all of the data. I have used pcanywhere and windows remote desktop before, but I want the setup as seamless as possible so that 5 or more users can remote and run the programs at the same time. Would microsoft server 2007 when it comes out be a better way to go for the server or would installing remote desktop software on windows xp pro work well. Also if possible I would like the application server to be used by myself as a desktop computer.

TRENDING THREADS