Picture and Fax Viewer Default

May 18, 2005 12:19:13 PM

On one of my XP machines, when I double click a picture, it opens in the
Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

On another of my XP machines, when I double click a picture, it opens in
Microsoft Photo Editor. Don't know where to go to set the default to the
Picture and Fax Viewer.

Can anyone help me out?
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 12:19:14 PM

Right click any JPG and select "open with..."
Click "choose program"
Select a program (for example: picture and fax viewer)
Place a check next to "always use the selected program to open this kind of
file".

"BK" <nokeithleyspam@nospammidamerica.net> wrote in message
> On one of my XP machines, when I double click a picture, it opens in the
> Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.
>
> On another of my XP machines, when I double click a picture, it opens in
> Microsoft Photo Editor. Don't know where to go to set the default to the
> Picture and Fax Viewer.
>
> Can anyone help me out?

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 1:20:58 PM

Open My Computer or an Explorer (not Internet Explorer) window. Then click
Tools, Folder Options, File types. Now scroll through the extensions until
you find the one that you want to change. Click the extension and then
click Change. Windows Picture and Fax Viewer will be one of your choices.
Click it and also click the box that says "Always use the selected program
to open this type of file".

When you install another program that is capable of opening this type of
file, watch closely when installing. Often you will have the choice of
whether or not to associate files with the newly installed program.
Sometimes, you are not given a choice and the program will automatically
change the association.

PattyL

"BK" <nokeithleyspam@nospammidamerica.net> wrote in message
> On one of my XP machines, when I double click a picture, it opens in the
> Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.
>
> On another of my XP machines, when I double click a picture, it opens in
> Microsoft Photo Editor. Don't know where to go to set the default to the
> Picture and Fax Viewer.
>
> Can anyone help me out?

Related resources
May 18, 2005 8:53:31 PM

Thanks for the help.

"Dennis Marks" <denmarks@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Right click any JPG and select "open with..."
> Click "choose program"
> Select a program (for example: picture and fax viewer)
> Place a check next to "always use the selected program to open this kind
> of file".
>
> "BK" <nokeithleyspam@nospammidamerica.net> wrote in message
>> On one of my XP machines, when I double click a picture, it opens in the
>> Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.
>>
>> On another of my XP machines, when I double click a picture, it opens in
>> Microsoft Photo Editor. Don't know where to go to set the default to the
>> Picture and Fax Viewer.
>>
>> Can anyone help me out?

May 18, 2005 8:54:04 PM

Thanks so much for the assistance.